Fdisk

elmers glue stiffening agent

what is the best way to make the leather stiff ive read about useing elmers glue but sure how or when to use it

I've tried using glue (elmer's, carpenter's, etc.) as a stiffening agent, and I was not impressed.

I find that the best way to get leather to harden is by wetting it and drying it as quickly as possible without damaging the leather itself. One key thing is to get the leather wet enough to be pliable, but not so wet that you can see/feel moisture when you are boning it. It is common for new craftsmen to use may too much water and get the project far to wet, and then try to mold the leather too soon, or have to wait a long time before the leather is dry enough to mold. The time it takes to properly saturate the leather will differ depending on the wuality of leather you use. With Hermann Oak or Wickett and Craig leather, I dunk them in warm water for less than a second. With shoulders from Zack White it took about four seconds, and I used some Brazilian leather once that took 15 seconds in water that was 175 degrees before it became pliable enough to shape.

Once you get the leather properly shaped, dry it in an oven at 110 to 115 degrees for 45 minutes. Don't give into the temptation to use more heat, as this will kill the holster in the long run. Once the "curing" process is finished, lay the holster in front of a fan over night. Sand and edge the holster as necessary, then apply whatever finish you prefer (I like acrylics). This will leave you with a nice firm holster.

Thank you for that response. After reading I am sure that I am getting my leather too wet. My next project I will cut back on the amount of water. Maybe my forming and boning will be easier and look better.

Carl

It will probably take a little more pressure to form and bone, but I am willing to bet it will look cleaner/better when it's done. Post some pics when you get some more made. We'd love to see them, and posting pics and asking for constructive criticism is one of the best ways to grow as a craftsman.

Put like 20% ammonia in water for your final moulding. It will dry HARD. Surprised nobody chimed in with this.