ClayB

Traditional Arts Apprenticeship Program

I was talking to Clay Miller this morning and somehow or other, this subject came up and I decided maybe it should be posted here on the forum too. I think every state in the US has an arts council. You can do a serch on the internet and find the website for your own state. Many states have a Traditional Arts Apprenticeship program. Through this program, master artists are paid to pass on traditional skills to people that want to learn, therefore keeping the tradition alive. Many different crafts are eligible for the grants through the program including saddle making, knife making, braiding, bit and spur making etc. You have to apply for these programs up to a year in advance, so there can be some planning involved and each state administers thier program differently so you have to talk to someone and see what is available in your state. Here in North Dakota, grants are available for up to $2000 with half that amount being paid to the master, the other half being available for materials. I have participated in the program twice here in ND to learn how to build saddles. At the end of the program we are required to write a final report and then give a demonstration somewhere on the craft that we learned. We did our demonstration at an art festival in Jamestown and it was a lot of fun and a good way to meet and talk to a lot of people. I would like to encourage you all to check and see what is available in your states. I was pretty surprised to find out they actually give out money like this, but hey, it's our tax dollars at work!

Here are photos of the 2 saddles I completed through this grant program.

ndart_saddle_1__Medium_.jpgold_timer.jpg

post-12-1214414898_thumb.jpg

post-12-1214414923_thumb.jpg

Here's what I found for NH. The list, although it says its not a complete list, does not include leather carving, It does include wood carving and also harness making. Which leads me to believe leather carving would be acceptable.

http://www.nh.gov/nharts/grants/artists/tr...enticeships.htm

John

did some looking around and couldnt really find anything useful for PA, but then again that could just be me not knowing exactly what to look for. :bawling:

did some looking around and couldnt really find anything useful for PA, but then again that could just be me not knowing exactly what to look for. :bawling:

http://www.pacouncilonthearts.org/pca.cfm?...amp;level=First <-- look for "Folk Arts Apprenticeships"

I was talking to Clay Miller this morning and somehow or other, this subject came up and I decided maybe it should be posted here on the forum too. I think every state in the US has an arts council. You can do a serch on the internet and find the website for your own state. Many states have a Traditional Arts Apprenticeship program. Through this program, master artists are paid to pass on traditional skills to people that want to learn, therefore keeping the tradition alive. Many different crafts are eligible for the grants through the program including saddle making, knife making, braiding, bit and spur making etc. You have to apply for these programs up to a year in advance, so there can be some planning involved and each state administers thier program differently so you have to talk to someone and see what is available in your state. Here in North Dakota, grants are available for up to $2000 with half that amount being paid to the master, the other half being available for materials. I have participated in the program twice here in ND to learn how to build saddles. At the end of the program we are required to write a final report and then give a demonstration somewhere on the craft that we learned. We did our demonstration at an art festival in Jamestown and it was a lot of fun and a good way to meet and talk to a lot of people. I would like to encourage you all to check and see what is available in your states. I was pretty surprised to find out they actually give out money like this, but hey, it's our tax dollars at work!

Here are photos of the 2 saddles I completed through this grant program.

ndart_saddle_1__Medium_.jpgold_timer.jpg

Clay - do you have a copy of your grant description that I could look at? I am getting ready to submit one here and need an idea of the appropriate "language" to use. thank you for the help!

I sent you a PM with copies of my filled out grant application. I hope it gives you some idea of what to do. The guy that runs the program here in ND is very helpful. He had me email him my answers to all the questions and then pointed out any areas that needed clarification or more detail. That way everything was done right before the panel saw my application. I have heard that it isn't quite as good of an experience in other states. I wonder if the low population here in ND makes for less competition for these grants. If there is anything I can do to help anyone that wants to participate in one of these programs, let me know and I'll sure help if I can. It's a great program if you can get accepted.

The Arts Council here in State told me that they didn't know what I was talking about. He then directed me to a private school for that kind of instruction???

Greetings from Round Rock, Texas

~ Remember - Stop & Strop ! ~

The Arts Council here in State told me that they didn't know what I was talking about. He then directed me to a private school for that kind of instruction???

He's a dope.

http://www.texasfolklife.org/apprenticeships.html

cool Ill have to check in to this.... Thanks

http://www.pacouncilonthearts.org/pca.cfm?...amp;level=First <-- look for "Folk Arts Apprenticeships"

Jarl, I was also unable to find anything for Pennsylvania. The closest reference I could find was under 'folk Arts' & pertained to Phillipine Culture in Delaware County (clear at the other end of PA). Nothing under 'apprenticeships', 'art apprenticeships' or 'folk art apprenticeships'. Apparently our State is 'non-folksy' in its ...orientation...

{'folksyfobic'???} :dunno:

Jarl, I was also unable to find anything for Pennsylvania. The closest reference I could find was under 'folk Arts' & pertained to Phillipine Culture in Delaware County (clear at the other end of PA). Nothing under 'apprenticeships', 'art apprenticeships' or 'folk art apprenticeships'. Apparently our State is 'non-folksy' in its ...orientation...

{'folksyfobic'???} :dunno:

Okay, here:

Start at Funding Opportunities. Folk Art Apprenticeships is clearly under Funding for Individual Artists. But it's not clickable! What to do, what to do!

Look at the sidebar on the left. There's a clickable link for Funding for Individuals. We're getting warmer...

When you click on that, there's an expansion menu. Third on the list is Folk and Traditional Arts, which when clicked serves up a webpage with further information (and clickable links!) on Folk Art Apprenticeships and Fellowships.

I'm sorry I didn't drill down right to the third level. Mea culpa. I just figured that people could click on their own...

Okay, here:

Start at Funding Opportunities. Folk Art Apprenticeships is clearly under Funding for Individual Artists. But it's not clickable! What to do, what to do!

Look at the sidebar on the left. There's a clickable link for Funding for Individuals. We're getting warmer...

When you click on that, there's an expansion menu. Third on the list is Folk and Traditional Arts, which when clicked serves up a webpage with further information (and clickable links!) on Folk Art Apprenticeships and Fellowships.

I'm sorry I didn't drill down right to the third level. Mea culpa. I just figured that people could click on their own...

Thank you. I'm just a stupid old goat when it comes to finding my way around a computer sometimes (well, often, anyway). If it's not spelled out, I sometimes just don't 'get it', although one of my good friends is even worse. He avoids a computer like others would avoid kissing a bubonic plague victim. At least I try (computer work, not kissing plague victims).

russ

Thank you. I'm just a stupid old goat when it comes to finding my way around a computer sometimes (well, often, anyway). If it's not spelled out, I sometimes just don't 'get it', although one of my good friends is even worse. He avoids a computer like others would avoid kissing a bubonic plague victim. At least I try (computer work, not kissing plague victims).russ

lol. Clicking links, for the most part, is less risky than kissing plague victims. My best advice is to read the entire webpage when you don't immediately see what you're looking for. Some designers just aren't that good at creating intuitively useable pages, or perhaps there is a reason in the site structure for doing it like that. I would have made the subcategories on that first page clickable, but I'm subversive like that.

cool Ill have to check in to this.... Thanks

Here ya go: http://www.flheritage.com/preservation/fol...apprenticeship/

Edited by tashabear

I'll add the link for South Dakota for anyone that interested.

http://www.artscouncil.sd.gov/grants/

Better get in quick, Gov Rounds is talking big budget cuts and arts will be one of them.