RavenAus

Genevie Corset

Plus size corset in purple with silver swirls on the front panels. Size in cm as it sits on the mannequin:
110 bust
90 waist
108 hips

8 buckles on the front panel, fully lined and edged with black suede.

post-32405-0-62041100-1411099488_thumb.j

post-32405-0-74381900-1411099491_thumb.j

post-32405-0-09479600-1411099494_thumb.j

post-32405-0-49305400-1411099496_thumb.j

post-32405-0-93176400-1411099498_thumb.j

Looks really nice! Must be hard to make them to size as it's so many curves.

BTW, you miss one rivet on the bottom right side (wearing it).

Neat! I take it the silver swirls are paint of some sort? They're very subtle in the photos, which is good since it's a pretty busy piece with all the rivets and such. I see what Alvetjarn is talking about, in the second photo you can see a hole where a rivet should be right next to the bottom most strap.

Beautiful, how does one go about learning to make corsets? Is there a book, or books, that you could recommend?

Thanks.

Hi :) Thanks all.

The silver is Tandys silver dye - https://www.tandyleatherfactory.com.au/en-aud/search/searchresults/2800-51.aspx - I oversprayed the Cobblestone dye with it and it seems to wear quite well. It's not as 'in your face' as paint would be.

Those rivet holes... Yep, I did miss a couple. I actually punched a few holes I shouldn't have, I had problems sewing the edging on the Black Queen corset as I'd got rivets in the way so I'd meant to leave the ones right at the top and bottom out but didn't cover the hole in the template. Live and learn :P

As for learning, this one's based on a Butterick pattern. Word of warning though, the stated pattern size is nothing like the finished size - make a mock up first! Also, as I was riveting this, I removed half of the seam allowance completely. If you have a machine that works better than mine you could sew it though, I'd still remove the stitching allowance from one side unless you were going to use it as a boning channel.

Talking of bones, if you use anything heavier than 2mm you only really need bones if it's to be a tightlacing waist reduction corset. The leather does a good job of keeping its shape (and hers) as it is without needing bones.

I really love this and for some reason I really want to try and make a leather corset!

Something I've always wondered .. Do you line a corset like this the entire interior area? Would you mind taking a photo of the interior, Raven?

It looks great. I love the colors, and never would have thought of using the silver that way!!

Bill

I don't have any internal pics at present, but yet I line the entire thing. Use the same pattern for the lining - either cloth or lining suede - and sew it up, clip the seams and stitch to the leather along all edges. Oh, and leave enough room between fastenings for your sewing machine! I didn't want the rivets through the lining so I put all the buckles and straps on, then had a bitch of a time getting them out of the way to sew the suede edging on

Very nice work!

Oh look... my dimensions! I really want to try making a corset. I did find guidance on creating a pattern from scratch to fit. I ended up with some very skinny pieces. I like the way the... 2nd panel.. reaches over to the 4th panel at the top. That might address some of the issues I'm running into.