gypsumvalley

My Great Grandfather

I just started leatherworking a few months ago to make holsters for our store, and my teacher has said I have picked it up very quickly. I guess it's in my blood, as my great grandfather used to have a leather repair shop in my hometown. I have a second cousin who is very talented in saddlework, and has shown some of his saddles at an art gallery in Arizona. His father (my great uncle) also was a leatherworker as well. Thought you might enjoy this photo of him in his shop in 1947.

Great_Grandpa.jpg

post-9455-1237154757_thumb.jpg

Thanks for the picture, Gypsum. Is it possible to repost it in a larger size? I can see this one being studied for the detail of how things were done "back then". Very interesting.

Thanks for the great picture! I would also like to see it a little larger. He must have repaired a lot off shoes to have 2 sole presses. Thanks again!

cool, love the old photos.

Me too, I'm hoping for a wee bit bigger picture. I love history, and this shows a man with a lot of work on his hands, always a good thing, and shows how respected our work was back then...and all being done with a patcher...wow? I don't see any other machines, maybe they're off in another corner.

I'll see if I can get a larger picture scanned, but the photo itself was small. I tried resizing it but it came out blurry. He was the only leather shop in Marion, which had about 1500 people in it at the time, so he had a lot of business.

Thank you for sharing that photo. Don't you just wish you could go back in time and see it first hand? Think of all you could learn.

Tom

That is a wonderful photo.

I think if I were you, I would make an effort to turn that into a business card.

Thanks for sharing a great piece of leatherworker history.

David Theobald