You might get tired of the music theme eventually, but for now, here's a mandolin themed messenger bag, made with 9 oz Austin leather, all hand stitched, taken apart, re-sewn, taken apart, and re-sewn. It was the keeper that kept messing me up. First it was too narrow and too long, and now it's still verging on too tight, but it will just work.

It's definitely man or tall woman sized. I made it pretty big at 16 x 12, and the strap pretty long, and as I'm rather short, it looks embarrassingly large for me.

I'm disappointed that I forgot to curve the corners instead of leaving them square, but I absentmindedly started grooving everything before I remembered I intended to cut the curve. Oh well.

Feel free to give any advice that strikes you.

post-38542-0-18377000-1397422629_thumb.jpost-38542-0-78542200-1397422631_thumb.jpost-38542-0-07415700-1397422680_thumb.jpost-38542-0-60600900-1397422684_thumb.jpost-38542-0-34013000-1397422690_thumb.jpost-38542-0-56011800-1397422692_thumb.jpost-38542-0-08760200-1397422634_thumb.j

You know, I understand about the curving the corners thing, but it makes an interesting contrast the way it is. It is a lovely bag, thanks for sharing it.

Very Nice!

Karina

I am certainly not tired of the music theme ... looks great!

Beautiful bag. What's Austin Leather? A brand name or type. I've never heard of it.

Thank you, benlilly, Rosemary, Karina, and thefanniator -- Thank you for your kind comments, and Rosemary, I appreciate the reassurance on the corners. Thefanninator, I believe "Austin" is Tandy's name for this leather. It's quite thick, chrome tanned, and comes in a purpleish gray and black as well. It's a little like extremely thick and sturdy bison. I haven't investigated enough leather sources to see if anyone else makes it and calls it by another name. I suppose it's quite likely.

I like it too Monica, Im in agreeance with Rosiart it does give a nice contrasted balance. but like the others I like it.

Very Kewl! Is it an F5 bag? Make a great gig bag for a mando player.

Cya!

Bob

You are doing a great job on these, taking a good idea and running with it.

Really like this one!

Thank you, Bill, and Bob, yes, it's an F5. My husband makes A-style mandolins, so I feel a bit disloyal, but hey, they wouldn't be recognizable.

Thank you, WScott, I appreciate it! Wait until you see the Saxophone one I have planned. Just kidding.. ;)

............................... Wait until you see the Saxophone one I have planned. Just kidding.. ;)

LOL...... I would have been on the edge of my seat waiting to see that one.

Karina

Great mandos as well. I Love zircote and had an Irish Bouzouki built from bocote, a close relative by a friend in Maine. Your house sounds like a fun place to be!

I recently sold my '95 F5L but still play my '17 A4.

Cya!

Bob

I don't suppose you trawl mandolincafe, do you? (I said "troll" and my husband says that is absolutely not the right word, and I wanted "trawl". Ha.)

We have a Nikos Apollonio octave mandolin, but honestly I don't have the left hand strength to play it for more than a few minutes. I'm waiting for my husband to make a prototype instrument he's been planning for a while. Something between a mandola and an octave mandolin, but easily playable like a waldzither. I see you play banjo - he's been haunting ebay for a year because we both want to learn clawhammer. Clawhammer Celtic would be something. ;)

Anyway, sorry, completely not leather related. Thanks for the comment!

Edited by MonicaJacobson