Sign in to follow this  
badLoveLeather

Olive/khaki Color

Hey Guys,

I've done a lot of trial and error testing trying to get a good Olive/Khaki color with Fiebings Pro Oil dye. Anyone done this before? Anyone have a good formula?

I've been using yellow and black and for the most part its been a pain.

Any advice here would help

Travis Poole

Bad Love Leather

Hey Guys,

I've done a lot of trial and error testing trying to get a good Olive/Khaki color with Fiebings Pro Oil dye. Anyone done this before? Anyone have a good formula?

Travis Poole

Bad Love Leather

Travis:

I got a great olive drab with 1/2 bottle of green Ritt cloth dye in a bottle of rubbing alchohol, blk /red/yellow works great too.

You can see some on my FB page albums @ jeff roberts

Hey Guys,

Travis Poole

Bad Love Leather

Hi Travis.

I come from the tie dye arena so mixing dyes is something we do a lot. We normally buy, turquoise, yellow and magenta for dyes. For me to get a Olive Drab color I would have to mix 4 parts Magenta (mixing red) 5 parts yellow, and 3 parts Turquoise. There is no black or if I use black it would just be a few drops. I don't think Pro Oil has the colors you need to do this.

To get a better idea of how colors mix into other hues, try this online mixing gadget.

http://painting.abou...ingpalette1.htm

I would avoid the Rit dye because the colors on the bottles aren't necessarily what you end up with. Fiber Reactive Dye's found at Dharmatrading is what I use. You could mix those with alcohol but strain them through a fine mesh strainer to avoid blotchiness. I just got some leather dye from Dharma too "Angelus" brand dye ... I ran a test swatch and I think if you get Rose, Yellow and Light Blue, you can get the color you want.

Good luck

LOL I just realized how old this post was. Oh well, perhaps my info can help another someday.

Edited by Sylvia