Sign in to follow this  
tat2

How to correct sewing tension when thread is lubricated

Good morning! I was an adler 205-64 which sewed like a charm offering the best stitches I have ever seen. I bought three 346 spools from Weaver leather and it seems now the tenision is off BIG TIME. I had attempted to adjust the tenison but nothing seems to be working. I called Weaver and they said all their thread comes this ways so it glides through the leather easier. They suggested I buy a wax pot which would solve this problem, But It does not make sense. If other folks are using this kind of thread I'd love to know how one can correct the tenision. Its getting exhausting with handsewing and an expensive piece of hardware now just sitting there.....

I know the black knob at the top of the machine creates the tenision then there is another knob which has no effect. the Manual is bloody useless so please help!!

Thanks Stephen

From my experience with the 441, it's good to start with proper bobbin tension. Once you have the bobbin thread above the needle plate it should neither pull too loosely nor too tightly. The pull should be smooth and steady. I've noticed that I often have to adjust bobbin tension when alternating between Eddington 277 and Coats 277. Once you are sure that bobbin tension is adequate, adjusting top tension is much easier.

Experience has shown me that the spring in the bobbin case MIGHT be a factor in unpredictable bobbin tensions, as not all bobbins are 100 percent identical and that spring may be pushing some bobbins against the bobbin housing top bar. I have achieved 100% predictable bobbin tension since I removed that spring.

How would you describe how smoothly the bobbin thread pulls out above the needle plate?

ed

me='tat2' date='30 September 2009 - 09:05 AM' timestamp='1254315908' post='125568']

Good morning! I was an adler 205-64 which sewed like a charm offering the best stitches I have ever seen. I bought three 346 spools from Weaver leather and it seems now the tenision is off BIG TIME. I had attempted to adjust the tenison but nothing seems to be working. I called Weaver and they said all their thread comes this ways so it glides through the leather easier. They suggested I buy a wax pot which would solve this problem, But It does not make sense. If other folks are using this kind of thread I'd love to know how one can correct the tenision. Its getting exhausting with handsewing and an expensive piece of hardware now just sitting there.....

I know the black knob at the top of the machine creates the tenision then there is another knob which has no effect. the Manual is bloody useless so please help!!

Thanks Stephen