carsonauto

What Is The Difference Between Each Kind Of Waxed Thread?

Hi guys, I've made a few things to this point, all stitched with Tandy's Waxed Braided Cord. I don't really have any complaints--Ive been making sheaths, and pouches (hand-stitched)--and the thread works well enough for what I'm doing.

But, I'm looking to buy more--and the Tandy stuff seems like--well--a ripoff. And I'd like to educate myself on the advantages of each kind of thread (for hand-stitching purposes).

For example: Springfield leather sells:

Waxed Thread

Linen Waxed Thread

Nyltex Waxed Thread

Polyester Waxed Thread

Waxed Braided Cord

Tandy sells:

Waxed Braided Cord

Waxed Linen Thread

Waxed Polyester Thread

I'm also looking at Maine Thread's Waxed Polycord. Really, I'm just wondering what the advantages and characteristics of each kind of thread/cord are. And when would you use thread instead of cord?

Again, Thanks

Hi guys, I've made a few things to this point, all stitched with Tandy's Waxed Braided Cord. I don't really have any complaints--Ive been making sheaths, and pouches (hand-stitched)--and the thread works well enough for what I'm doing.

But, I'm looking to buy more--and the Tandy stuff seems like--well--a ripoff. And I'd like to educate myself on the advantages of each kind of thread (for hand-stitching purposes).

For example: Springfield leather sells:

Waxed Thread

Linen Waxed Thread

Nyltex Waxed Thread

Polyester Waxed Thread

Waxed Braided Cord

Tandy sells:

Waxed Braided Cord

Waxed Linen Thread

Waxed Polyester Thread

I'm also looking at Maine Thread's Waxed Polycord. Really, I'm just wondering what the advantages and characteristics of each kind of thread/cord are. And when would you use thread instead of cord?

Again, Thanks

I would like to know what people think of each as well.

I used nyltex and it was ok, then I bought a spool of Barbour's 7 cord and it is much better. I wax it myself with "sticky" wax, beeswax with rosin mixed in. The Barbour's is 781 yards and cost me $65 shipped from Landwerlen Leather, 317-636-8300. The wax I got from Bingham Projects Inc, 801-399-3470, $2.90 for a 1 oz cake, 3 shipped cost $10.40, they call it "string maker's bow string wax". It takes more time to wax your own but I think its worth it. I use Osborne harness needles 0 size, 517-0, 18 ga 25 in a pack was $5.75 also from Landwerlen. If you get the white Barbour you can dye it with the leather dye, I bought both black and white.

I have also used some Maine thread waxed cord in the .035" size, needed hot pink, worked well but if I get more from them I'll go up one size so its closer to the Barbour 7 cord.

I also tried some linen from somebody else but it doesn't even come close to the Barbour's linen.

That's what I know.

Jeremy

Thanks Jeremy. I'll definetely look into the Sticky wax--seems like a great idea. I appreciate the part numbers too.

Thanks Jeremy. I'll definetely look into the Sticky wax--seems like a great idea. I appreciate the part numbers too.

You are welcome

cord = thread (pretty much). Maine thread puts on their website that what they call cord is what most people call thread. I seem to remember that the distinction is that cord is strands of thread spiral'd or woven together....but that is a little distant (since technically thread does the same thing)

I know this is an old "thread" but it could use some more replays.

Any thoughts?