Sign in to follow this  
RainSpirit

My Stitching Pony

I made this stitching pony from 1 inch oak and the swiveling block from walnut. It is 18 inches long at the base by 4 inches wide. It is sloped to slide under me easily in my wheelchair. Hubby cut the boards for me and drilled the holes. I designed and shaped and finished and put together. The jaws are 2 1/2 inches wide by 2 inches thick. the height is 16 iches finished. I covered them in a thin leather and added a magnet on each side to hold my lacing needles. Using a heavy velcro I added the wrench on the left to tighten the swivel and width adjustments, to the right I added a pair of scissors with the velcro as well. I added a third magnet to the base for extra needles I may need. I am going to add a small eye bolt to the right to hold my fid. The pics are in my gallery and this should be the link. Any suggestions will be most welcome. Click link below to see photos.

http://leatherworker...lery&user=26875

Looks good, and it looks like you have a place for everything right on board. That is similar in design to the one that I built for myself. Only I just used pine to build mine, didn't have any fancy wood laying around the shop. I tapered the base of the one I built too and rounded over all the edges and corners to cut down on wear to my chair and my body. In fact the only time that I have used mine so far I was sitting on a shop stool that has a motorcycle style seat and it worked just fine, I never even noticed that I was sitting on the base of the stitching pony. The magnets on yours look like a good idea, I may eventually add them to mine if the need shows itself. I'm sure you will enjoy using the one that you built.

Here's a pic of mine.

post-34211-0-54976400-1350669976_thumb.j

Thank you. It works well for me. I like yours too. I have not made the "key" yet as you have. I just use the wrench. We live in the woods and have lots of oak, hickory, walnut and maple. hickory is my favorite but the oak was already slabbed. I am making a smaller version for little tasks now. Still think I will sand the slope a tad more though.. thank you for looking and sharing. RainSpirit

Edited by RainSpirit

well we have no shortage of stitching clamp designs in the forums folks can choose to build for themselves.

building your own is a big money saver compaired to buying one like the pro stitching pony that sells for $99.00 from TLF

well we have no shortage of stitching clamp designs in the forums folks can choose to build for themselves.

LOL.. Yeah St8..we could probably have a new section on the forum for stitching horses, ponies and clamps..

Nice work on the new Swiss Army version of the pony, Rainspirit.!! Like the magnets idea for holding you needles.. ;)

Just don't fit a coffe cup holder..eh St8.. Elven Safety n all that.. ;):spoton: LOL

Regards

Phil