dbusarow

Question About Old Singers

I'm looking for a dedicated machine for patching horse blankets. I got a Cobra 4 from Steve last year and it is obviously capable but I'd rather not have to change feed dogs, presser feet, thread and tension just to sew on a patch.

There are two older Singers up for sale nearby.

One is a 15-91 complete with accessories and manual. From what I found online it seems like a fairly capable machine. $125 + 2 hour drive to see it

The other is quite a bit closer. A really old Singer treadle. The owner says it has no model number on the plate, just the serial number and patent date. Serial number is 3177929 and newest patent date shown is 1892. Owner thinks it was made in 1895. He says it was working when he put it in storage 16 years ago but broke the belt when he ran the ad in the paper and went to demo it. $175 + 1 hour drive.

So, my question to all the classic sewing machine experts here, is either one worth buying?

My gut says to go with the newer 15-91 but my heart wants that old treadle machine :)

Thanks,

Dan

I'm looking for a dedicated machine for patching horse blankets. I got a Cobra 4 from Steve last year and it is obviously capable but I'd rather not have to change feed dogs, presser feet, thread and tension just to sew on a patch.

There are two older Singers up for sale nearby.

One is a 15-91 complete with accessories and manual. From what I found online it seems like a fairly capable machine. $125 + 2 hour drive to see it

The other is quite a bit closer. A really old Singer treadle. The owner says it has no model number on the plate, just the serial number and patent date. Serial number is 3177929 and newest patent date shown is 1892. Owner thinks it was made in 1895. He says it was working when he put it in storage 16 years ago but broke the belt when he ran the ad in the paper and went to demo it. $175 + 1 hour drive.

So, my question to all the classic sewing machine experts here, is either one worth buying?

My gut says to go with the newer 15-91 but my heart wants that old treadle machine :)

Thanks,

Dan

I own a Singer 15-91 and I am here to tell you that it can barely sew through 8 ounces of leather, or 3/16" of denim. The pod motor that is mounted into the machine is gear driven, but lackluster in punching power. The feed dogs are very small. The machine is best suited to sewing thin cotton garments. I can't imagine a Singer 15-91 sewing any kind of blanket, much less a horse blanket!

The second machine you mentioned, on a treadle, has no model number, but from the serial number it must be from the early 1900's. If it works at all, it will most likely be a home sewing machine, designed to feed and sew garments.

What you are looking at are collectors' machines. They are not up to snuff for sewing today's heavy weight materials, or leather, or blankets.

That said, if you are prepared to throw away a couple hundred bucks on an antique sewing machine, save your money and buy a used Singer 111w155 walking foot machine, for sewing your horse blankets. They can be found for about $250 to $300, with a motor and table. If the dirt jams it up, tear it apart and clean it, or use compressed air to clean it out. If the clutch on the bobbin drive disengages, clear the thread or blanket strands out of the bobbin and shuttle, then push the reset button down, rotate the hand wheel until the clutch re-engages, and continue sewing. Eventually, it will break down beyond repair. When that happens, buy another old clunker, for blankets.

You really need a walking foot machine for horse blankets. I mean triple feed, where the feed dog, inside foot and needle all move together.

Note: The Singer 111w155 does not have reverse. If you want a walking foot machine with reverse, look for a (used; out of manufacture) Juki LU-563, or a newer style walking foot machine, like a Consew 206RB-5 - with a 1/2 horsepower motor, with a 2" pulley, and a 20" x 48" industrial - k-legs table. Plop in a #23 needle, thread it with #138 bonded nylon thread, and she'll sew through 3/8" of anything you put under the foot. Change to a longer series 190 needle, raise the needlebar to place the eye in the same position as the original series 135x needles, and she'll sew just over 7/16" of blanket.

Wiz,

Thanks for the info and for saving me some time and money on these two. I'll keep looking. For the Singer 111W155. Is any 111W OK or does it need to be a 111W155?

Thanks,

Dan

Wiz,

Thanks for the info and for saving me some time and money on these two. I'll keep looking. For the Singer 111W155. Is any 111W OK or does it need to be a 111W155?

Thanks,

Dan

I recommend the w155, or if you can find one, a w156, with a reverse lever. Just make sure whatever you buy has triple feed. Modern walking foot machines usually come with a M bobbin, which holds 50% more thread then a standard industrial bobbin (similar to 15-91 bobbin). This is useful when you thread up with #138 thread. The old Singer 111s mostly have a standard bobbin. Maybe #92 thread will work for your blanket repairs. It goes a lot farther than #138, in the bobbin. Then, you can go down to a #19 or #20 needle.

I might have a line on a 111W155 , it is in Maryland but if you are interested I will look into it further ..