Sign in to follow this  
JoeNots

Wallet Edges Question?

I'm trying to wrap my head around how to make the edges look nice on a wallet. veg tan tooled outside, pig skin insides, hand stitched together. I love a nice burnished edge but i'm not sure how to do that with the pig skin in the mix. I've looked around on here for a few hours now and i'm found some great stuff, but not really what i'm trying to do.

Any advice would be great!

Thanks,

Joe

I'm using 4-5 oz. veg tan on the outside. forgot to mention that.

Thanks

Bob P.'s tutorial is about belts, but works just as well on other items and covers the issue pretty well. For a 4oz wallet, I'd go with a #1 or #2 edger.

I'm sure others have more experience and MUCH better ideas. However, I've done a couple custom wallets since starting out, both with 4oz backs and full pig liners.

On the first, I skived and turned the edges of the back over the pigskin. I just prefer the look of turned edges on small goods... It looked okay (the owner actually loved it), but it was too bulky for my taste.

For the second one, I actually made the pig liner oversized and turned it over at the exposed edges. Much cleaner look and less bulk. I also made the back a fraction large as well and trimmed everything flush after sewing. Just did my normal burnish / finish / burnish / seal treatment and the two leathers blended well and looked fine.

Good luck with the project and let us know how it turns out!

Mark

Thanks for the help guys. I think i'll try oversizing the liner & folding it back under itself then burnishing it. When i get it done i'll post a few pictures.

Sorry to highjack your thread.

How about if i want to have color edge for the burnish? For example Blue, Red, Yellow or Orange?

As i can only found edge kote in brown or black color

Sorry to highjack your thread.

How about if i want to have color edge for the burnish? For example Blue, Red, Yellow or Orange?

As i can only found edge kote in brown or black color

Just stain the edges with an appropriate colored dye and burnish hard. Edge kote definitely isn't the only answer. Check out the rest of the forum for burnishing hints.

Ray

Just stain the edges with an appropriate colored dye and burnish hard. Edge kote definitely isn't the only answer. Check out the rest of the forum for burnishing hints.

Ray

Thanks for the tips Ray, i'm new to the whole world of leather :)