Sign in to follow this  
ericluther

Newer Member could use some info :)

Hey All

I have a fine art background and am very excited about learning Leather working, my question is what do I need to begin, I would rather spend a bit more upfront to get quality tools etc than buying a "starter kit" I'm interested in motorcycle seats, boots, vests, and watchbands primarily.

I know this may be an extensive list so I dont mind calling someone on my dime and writing it myself to save someone alot of typing.

Glad to see the forum restored and thank you!!!

Eric

Hey All

I have a fine art background and am very excited about learning Leather working, my question is what do I need to begin, I would rather spend a bit more upfront to get quality tools etc than buying a "starter kit" I'm interested in motorcycle seats, boots, vests, and watchbands primarily.

I know this may be an extensive list so I dont mind calling someone on my dime and writing it myself to save someone alot of typing.

Glad to see the forum restored and thank you!!!

Eric

Welcome to the club, we're glad to have you.

You need some basic tools to get started, and actually, a small starter kit isn't a bad way to go. I think that very few leather workers went out and dropped a few grand to get tools to see if they were any good. Plus, when you start with fewer tools, you learn that you can use just the toe, just the heel, one side only, etc., and you can still do quite a bit. That carries over to other tools as well, and you'll find that one stamping tool can actually do more than you thought. A good mallet is a must and here it's better to err on the light side of things. The leather you'll be working ( 2-5oz I think for seats and watch bands) isn't all that thick, and a lighter touch can keep you from going all the way through. Swivel knife- spend enough to get a good one. I'll leave it at that.

Keep in mind that you get what you pay for, and while Tandy has plenty of good tools, other folks make them too, and some of theirs sell for ~$60 per stamp. I'll presume that you have studio space, so that's covered, and you've signed up here. So now you only need leather. As you progress, you'll get more stamps, knives, dyes, et al. Start small, both in tools, designs, and leather. That way, you'll get what you need and know what to do with it, instead of having a box o'stamps and not knowing how, where, or why a particular tool should be used.

Don't be surprised for some extensive lists to be given here....the above is just my .02.

Ahhh! One last thing.....when you start dying leather, wear an apron, and get some disposable (latex?) gloves.

Thank you so much for the info and the reply, I really appreciate it

I've heard alot of people say to get a good swivel knife, what constitutes good?? brand?

Eric

Welcome to the forum Eric. It's great to have you here now that we're back up and running.

You are also going to need a piece of granite to do your stamping and carving on. This will give you the solid backing that is needed for deep impressions. I, like a lot of other people here just stopped by a local granite countertop company and asked if I could rummage through thier scrap pile for a piece. They said no problem and showed me out back to where it was. After digging through the pile I found the perfect piece for my nneds and went back inside to pay for it. Both people refused adimantly to accept any money, saying it was just scrap and they throw it away anyways. I returned later with donuts (not the ones you find here) and they were very pleased.

As stated above by Twin, you are most likely better off having a look at the stamps and tools that are in the Tandy cataloque, and determine from there what you are looking at doing, then purchase a few tools to get you started. Once you have a good understanding of what you can and can't do, you will more able to determine what else you need.

Hope this helps, and looking forward to seeing your progress.

Ken

Thanks Ken!

I dig your work man and read your background a week or so ago, what a great and inspiring story!

Eric

Thanks Eric, I appreciate the compliments very much. Good luck on your journey through Leather Land, and hope that you get as much enjoyment out of it as I have.

Ken

Eric, here's a picture of the piece of granite I got, and the stool that I use instead of a work bench. I use this rather than going out to the garage shop so I can still be by the TV and computer when I'm carving.

Ken

very nice!

thanks for the pic, I was wondering if there might be any books out there that explain the tools and there uses, I see certain pieces of work and tools and I'm trying to figure out what certain ones functions are.

The stamps I know about thanks to some online tutorials and swivel knife but alot of the others Im a bit clueless about

I cant tell you what you should get... I can only tell you how I went about getting into leather work....

I have always been attracted to working with leather, more than wood or other hobbies. I ended up with a little extra money one fall a few years ago and found myself at my local Tandy store. I bought the wholesale membership first then turned atound and bought the "ultimate leathercrafters" kit (http://www.tandyleatherfactory.com/products.asp?number=55512-01). I have used almost everything in it, and there are a few items that I have not used.... and there are a few pieces that i have since upgraded. I still to this day use the swivel knife that came with it: http://www.tandyleatherfactory.com/product...number=35050-02

But moved up to the Ceramic Blades: http://www.tandyleatherfactory.com/product...?number=8027-00

And like Beaverslayer did, I also went to a counter top place here local and asked to pick through the "scraps"... I found a nice piece and was charged $10 for it. I was expecting it to be either free or way more than $10 so i was more than happy to pay the $10. I also went to ebay and tried to find stuff... but most were in large lots that cost way too much. I did however get a good deal on a head knife.

If I had had this place to come to before I spent all the money I did on the kit, I would have come here to find out as you have. The tools I use from the kit religiously are the hole punches, the thong punches, the cutting/punching board, utility & round knives, rouge, swivel knife, some (not all) of the stamping tools, the button tools, the small anvil, and a few others that i cant think of right now.... I have added allot of other tools to my rack, some that I have found I like, some I found that I done... It is (to me) a matter of trying it out, seeing if I like it or not....

I was wondering if there might be any books out there that explain the tools and there uses, I see certain pieces of work and tools and I'm trying to figure out what certain ones functions are.

I picked up "Tech Tips", by Al Stohlman, just before Christmas. It's a wealth of knowlege, and shows in fully composed pieces how stamp type "x" is used. In some, there's even pointer arrows with a (Craftool) number showing the exact use of a stamp in the compostion. Excellent book to learn with, but is only one of many. I'm sure some other members will have more titles for you.

Yeah, thanks Twin... The Ultimate kit came with several books, and Tech Tips was one of them... Very useful book.

Ok, I hope I don't step on anyones toes, and I hope I didn't over look it by reading too fast,I think ya'll forgot to mention the round knife. I know ALOT of people that that round knives and head knives are just for saddlers. but in my opinion the round knife is single most valuable tool when it comes to ALL forms of leather work. I promise you. if you take the time to get it SHARP and keep it that way, you'll wonder how you'll ever got along without it.

Eric,

Welcome to the forum. Adding to the great advice from the "masters" here (not me) contact Ron Stuhlman at Hidecrafter regarding starter tools. He'll take good care of you! Tandy is good, too, for starters and they have four stores in FL. A good book that I wish I had when I started @ 15 is by Jim Simmons "The Book of Leather Work". Jim wasn't a gleam in his daddy's eye when I started but he caught up and wrote a great basic -advanced book. I may have an extra copy if you're interested.

"Measure twice or three times and cut once then be patient and practice-ALOT!"

Good toolin',

Indy

A good book that I wish I had when I started @ 15 is by Jim Simmons "The Book of Leather Work". Jim wasn't a gleam in his daddy's eye when I started but he caught up and wrote a great basic -advanced book. I may have an extra copy if you're interested.

Indy

If Eric's not interested in the book I deffinetly am :)

Ok, I hope I don't step on anyones toes, and I hope I didn't over look it by reading too fast,I think ya'll forgot to mention the round knife. I know ALOT of people that that round knives and head knives are just for saddlers. but in my opinion the round knife is single most valuable tool when it comes to ALL forms of leather work. I promise you. if you take the time to get it SHARP and keep it that way, you'll wonder how you'll ever got along without it.

I haven't used a head knife yet, but from the old 'how to' on the main page, it looks extremely multipurpose. Right now, I can't afford to drop $50 or more on a single tool, so I'm making do with a razor knife. You distinguish head vs. round. Is the round knife you're talking about the little mini pizza cutter do-hicky?

Edited by TwinOaks

I haven't used a head knife yet, but from the old 'how to' on the main page, it looks extremely multipurpose. Right now, I can't afford to drop $50 or more on a single tool, so I'm making do with a razor knife. You distinguish head vs. round. Is the round knife you're talking about the little mini pizza cutter do-hicky?

No it is not the pizza cutter thingy. but I asked the same question when I was starting out , so don't worry I'm not making fun of you.

A round knife and a head knife are pretty much the same thing, the head knife has a blade that has a 180 degrees of cutting surface..like half a circle...a round knife has more than 180 degrees of blade..make sense? yeah we're ALL on a budget but when you can afford one, it is well worth it..and cutting is MUCH cleaner and easier

Dave

Edited by YRsaddles

This is a head knife, pretty much the same as a round knife.

images_1_.jpg

Ken

post-1605-1199941020_thumb.jpg

Okay. I thought 'rotoknife' and round knife were being used interchangebly- thanks for the clarification.

very nice!

thanks for the pic, I was wondering if there might be any books out there that explain the tools and there uses, I see certain pieces of work and tools and I'm trying to figure out what certain ones functions are.

The stamps I know about thanks to some online tutorials and swivel knife but alot of the others Im a bit clueless about

I belive the book you are looking for is called: Leathercraft Tools *How to use them*How to sharpen them* You can get one at Tandy et al.

Have fun learning the craft - it's an interesting journey!