woodandsteel

Anyone Sell Wholesale Products To Retailers?

I have the opportunity to put some holsters in a local Gun retailer, and I'm wondering the best way to proceed. Does anyone else have experience with this? Do you sell them to the retailer at a discount rate, or sell on consignment? What kind of percentage split do you do?

In the past i have tried it both ways. If i were you i would sell the dealer the holsters, that way you have your money up front and you can use it to buy more leather or what ever.

If you do consignment you have your holsters and your money tied up. Maybe for a few days but it could be a few months or longer. Plus you need to make sure their is a understanding on what happens if something is stolen. Who's going to be out the money you are the dealer ? That's why i suggest selling and getting your money on deliveryif something happens to the holsters it's their problem. Plus they will try harder to sell something that's theirs.

In the past i have tried it both ways. If i were you i would sell the dealer the holsters, that way you have your money up front and you can use it to buy more leather or what ever.

If you do consignment you have your holsters and your money tied up. Maybe for a few days but it could be a few months or longer. Plus you need to make sure their is a understanding on what happens if something is stolen. Who's going to be out the money you are the dealer ? That's why i suggest selling and getting your money on deliveryif something happens to the holsters it's their problem. Plus they will try harder to sell something that's theirs.

Thanks! My gut tells me the same thing.

IMHO, Consignment is rarely a good option for the vendor. Essentially you are funding the retail's business by supplying them with goods they don't have to pay for unless they sell. Effectively, you are providing an interest free loan. Financial institutions won't do it, so why should you?

I sell a lot of stuff wholesale but always insist on cash with order. I then make up the goods to order so my leather stock is not tied up until I have the money in hand to pay for replacement materials.

Okay, this won't work for everyone, but if you lay down the 'rules of engagement' before you start dealing with someone then there can be no arguments later.

Good luck with your business.

Ray