I'm looking for a dummy for a Springfield EMP. Anyone know if they are out there? I have a customer that tried his EMP in a holster designed for a 3" 1911, and he said it fit fine (his judgement call). He's asked me to build one with my 3" dummy for his EMP, but I'm not comfortable doing this and wanted to see how you guys are building holsters for an EMP.

Duncan Customs lists it in their current (as of April 9th, 2010) inventory: Duncan Customs

There is also one in the "Special Guns-Limited Supply" section with a sight track.

Edited by Kring

Duncan Customs lists it in their current (as of April 9th, 2010) inventory: Duncan Customs

There is also one in the "Special Guns-Limited Supply" section with a sight track.

Ahh, thank you! I'll have to place an order for one in the morning. Much appreciated!

I use the 3" micro 1911 from Rings. John claimed the dimensions are identical to the .45s. In fact, I've done several and they have all been for EMPs, none for .45s. My customers love the fit, I've even had repeat orders.

If you already have that, I'd say save your money unless you want the sight track.

I found this image showing the difference in size between the Springfield EMP 9mm and the 3" Micro .45. It looks to me like the EMP would nestle down inside the trigger guard area, and the end of the muzzle would rest at about the same place as the 3" .45 would in the holster. But it would not be as tight at the top of the slide. I think in a Pancake style holster, this wouldn't cause much problem, but I'm not so sure with the Avenger style, where it's much harder to form fit the double-thick area close to the gun (at least with the pattern I'm currently using). Sure is a sweet looking little pistol that would go great with my Kahr P9... :)

EMPvsMicroL.jpg

I was wondering if there was any difference in the size between the EMP and the Micro Pistol! I did see that Rings had the Micro Pistol and I ALMOST suggested taking a look at it, but I had a feeling that it might have had to be a little bit bigger, wider etc to accommodate the .45 cartridge. Cool picture Particle, that was the information I was trying to find for you yesterday. :)

I can't say with certainty, but I don't think there are many, if any, parts that can be interchanged between an EMP and a standard 1911. They're completely designed around the smaller cartridge. I believe even the slide thickness is more narrow, but I didn't find any measurements to verify. I do have a Rings 3" 1911 for the .45, and that's what the customer wants me to use. I told him I'd build him a holster for a 3" 1911 .45, but I can't guarantee the fit - he was okay with that. I think I still want an EMP dummy though, as I think there are enough potential buyers out there to warrant the purchase.

I can't say with certainty, but I don't think there are many, if any, parts that can be interchanged between an EMP and a standard 1911. They're completely designed around the smaller cartridge. I believe even the slide thickness is more narrow, but I didn't find any measurements to verify. I do have a Rings 3" 1911 for the .45, and that's what the customer wants me to use. I told him I'd build him a holster for a 3" 1911 .45, but I can't guarantee the fit - he was okay with that. I think I still want an EMP dummy though, as I think there are enough potential buyers out there to warrant the purchase.

These folks http://www.letargets.com/ have always done me well in the Blue Guns. They can and will order what doesn't show on their web site.

I am almost certain that on the Blue Gun parent web site, an EMP is offered. It should be about $36 through the http://www.letargets.com/ folks.

May God bless,

Dwight

I found this image showing the difference in size between the Springfield EMP 9mm and the 3" Micro .45. It looks to me like the EMP would nestle down inside the trigger guard area, and the end of the muzzle would rest at about the same place as the 3" .45 would in the holster. But it would not be as tight at the top of the slide. I think in a Pancake style holster, this wouldn't cause much problem, but I'm not so sure with the Avenger style, where it's much harder to form fit the double-thick area close to the gun (at least with the pattern I'm currently using). Sure is a sweet looking little pistol that would go great with my Kahr P9... smile.gif

EMPvsMicroL.jpg

Wow, very interesting. I guess I need to be careful on taking John Ring on his word all of the time. I'm surprised he would say they are the same when he is particular about guns like the Sig P228 and P229 non rail which he has different molds for, and the difference is significantly less between those two and the picture of the EMP/1911.

Guess I better get me a duncan mold.