Ash

Non-Metal Belt Buckle

Hi all,

a customer asked me to make a belt with a buckle that must have no metal parts, since he is allergic to all metals.

He needs a "classic" buckle (I proposed him a D-ring belt with plastic o wooden D-rings but he prefer a classic one).

Do you have any suggestion on where to find it? Better in Europe but every suggestion is welcome

Thank you

Ash

Edited by Ash

I might look into Grade 23 Titanium. It's specifically meant for use inside the body. It's common to find body jewelry made from it, but maybe something like that could become a buckle with a little modification. Maybe a route similar to a "mechanic's belt" to minimize skin contact might work. Those are a couple potential ideas that come to mind.

If your customer claims to be allergic to even Grade 23, then you may want to pass on it based on the amount of unforeseen challenges involved along the way. I'm skeptical of the claim and wonder if it's a fools errand. I also worry that this might a potential "warranty replacement" issue for you later on if something were to cause an "allergic reaction" anyway. The last thing you need is a disgruntled customer because you couldn't do the impossible and still meet their unrealistic expectations. I'm always up for a challenge, but sometimes there's a line in the sand.

This is just my personal opinion, so please keep that in perspective.

thanks for the reply.

I think that titanium has the same problem as other metals (he cannot wear also gold and silver), but I will check

For the second problem, it is not a problem anymore because the customer is a very good friend, so no problems at all for that.

what about plastic buckle? any idea on where to find?

Edited by Ash

Maybe Ohio Travel Bag?

Edited by Troy I

How about velcro?

My first thought was plastic. Not pretty, but functional. Ohio Travel Bag has some options.

deleted

Edited by dbusarow

I'm relieved to hear that it's not some random person who approached you with the idea. Something out of the blue like that throws up red flags and cause an overwhelming desire to flee, so that is why I mentioned it. Helping a friend out like that is a whole different thing and commendable.

It might be possible to find a strong enough plastic buckle. I've never researched the topic, so I have no info on the durability, strength, or longevity of them.

The reason behind the mechanic's belt idea is that there is no contact with the metal retention stud on either side. The front is covered and the back would, presumably, have a layer of pants between any skin and the stud on the backside.

Here is what I mean. No affiliations with them. That was just the first place I found that had clear pictures of what I was talking about.

Although, something along the lines of this or this might be pretty cool, too.

The Velcro idea would work or something with loops and slots and maybe a piece of wood or antler like a frontiersman style belt . Gary

Velcro works.

post-19342-0-85416200-1395756541_thumb.j

Edited by Tree Reaper

Check out these folks:

http://www.strapworks.com/Plastic_Cam_Buckles_p/pcb.htm

These plastic cam buckles are used commercially on belts by Bison.

Ciao!

Bob

thank you all for suggestions and ideas, very much appreciated

all ideas are good alternatives (velcro, mechanic, etc.) that I will take in consideration, but first I want to try to find a classic buckle that is made in a material that is not metal. Ohio doesn't have it.

If I will not find that, I will propose my friend those alternatives, so please don't stop

Here is a more traditional plastic buckle:

$_3.JPG

Ciao!

Bob

The Encyclopaedia of Leather braiding has a gaucho buckle which is all leather. It can be 'stiffened-up' by backing it with a leather 'plate' if you see what I mean. It closes with leather buttons. Gary

Make a bone buckle the same way the Viking-era ones are made from. I made one a few years back (2006) for a re-enactor. They are much more fragile than metal (the one I made ended up broken as she'd stood full on it) but work very well. The only metal part I used was a pin to hinge the buckle pin. This was totally enclosed by the bone. The pics are small and not too detailed but you get the idea. The belt is a tablet-woven braid with her groups name woven in.

*edit* Oops, Chrome crashed during the post, so it has 2 copies of the 'in progress' pics...

post-32405-0-92859300-1396836031_thumb.j

post-32405-0-70737400-1396836032_thumb.j

post-32405-0-93333000-1396836123_thumb.j

post-32405-0-91699800-1396836124_thumb.j

post-32405-0-49104400-1396836125_thumb.j

Edited by RavenAus

I´d look for some buckles made of horn or bone, too. After a litle google search a found these exmples: http://www.billigeknoepfe.de/Guertelschnalle-Horn-K15076, http://www.bucklesbelts.com/guertel-guertelschnalle-dornschliesse-horn-1.html (Just because you asked for european sources)
Okay, they might be a little overdesigned, depending on what look you wanna achieve, but at least they exist.
And of course, it depends on what you/your customer is willing to pay for it....

Another possibility might be a buckle covered (woven) with leather? Just a guess as I don´t know much about allergic stuff.