Spider

The Pain Of A Mother

This is a piece I am submitting to a gallery for a Virgin Mary celebration. It's 16x20 with a wooden frame.

IMG_4652.jpg

IMG_4653.jpg

IMG_4654.jpg

IMG_4655.jpg

IMG_4656.jpg

IMG_4657.jpg

IMG_4658.jpg

I like the leathercrafting and woodworking a lot ... very nice job... but I can't say that I like the rendition of the theme. Sorry. Maybe I'm just too old to understand it.

:blush::blush::blush:

Good job,

I like the leathercrafting and woodworking a lot ... very nice job... but I can't say that I like the rendition of the theme. Sorry. Maybe I'm just too old to understand it.

:blush::blush::blush:

Looks like a Virgin Mary done sort of Dia de Los Muertos style to me. I like it.

another original piece spider, i just hope it doesnt offend anyone...some people might not understand your view on things. great carving and colors.

Hey Bro, AWSOME!!!!! :You_Rock_Emoticon:

The details and execution is so cool and the skulls are sooo nice!

Out of words, just *strong word* awsome :notworthy::notworthy:

Tom

Thank you everyone for your comments.

My point with this piece is art and as a parent, The pain and rage of a parent. I'm just putting my own feelings as a parent into this piece. I would never want to see my son hurt or killed. This piece expresses my rage if it were to ever happen and my desprate desire to free him if he were being held captive. At the same time, becoming one of the first to "Celebrate" a person after they have passed as with my previous son.

My goal is not to offend or even interpret the "Virgin Mary" but instead put myself in her shoes and with my views now and "MY" experiences I've put this onto leather.

Spider,

Another cool work of art.

Kinda looks like an Egyption Virgin Mary from a distance.

Johnny

Spider wow.....um....Give me a minute....I'll think of the right words eventually....

KK

Whow hoo hoo.... Some may say you think outside the box or even way outside the box. I love your vision and i don't think there is ever a question of a box involved in yours. If you're gonna do something make it strong and make it yours, a vivid expression !

I too immediately thought of "day of the dead" theme, which i love. I love the way you always use the simplest little touches to really break stuff up (stuff i wish i'd thought of). Like the dividing of the background on this one and just by adding the dot/spots on the robe really added to the piece. Most of all i keep finding myself going back to the roses. I swear you can almost smell 'em.

Thank you guys. This was a piece that I planned and planned for and sketched over and over. In the end, I crumbled the paper and threw it away and grabbed the leather, cut it and grabbed a pencil and went to town on the leather. I said "F" it. If I want it to come from inside me I must use my heart not my hands.

Thank you all for your inspiration and technique.

That sure is some massively freaky work Spider, you got it going on! I like it alot and am jealous of the size of the canvas you worked on - man - how great is it to work on something bigger than a small unit? Great ideas, love the art, just the right amount of everything. Really is cool, gives me ideas! Thanks!

oh yeah - you need to have someone qualified to take some decent pictures, this work warrants it - fo sho

Edited by steveb

At first I wasn't really into the theme - the workmanship, amazing, just not the theme. But, once you explained it, I found a better appreciation for the piece. And of course the workmanship is amazing!

It's beautiful work, Spider. Thanks for the "Cliff's Notes" for those of us who didn't "get it" on first sighting.

Kate

Yeah you are all very kind to share your thoughts with me. Thank you very much. I do have to admit that I did not expect anyone to understand this piece on sight. I am always happy to explain my work as I see it but in turn hear what others "feel" from my work. My art is not direct and it's ok.

Nicely done, Spider! I am extremely impressed with the "toss the paper" technique. I would not have been that brave.

Crystal

Nicely done, Spider! I am extremely impressed with the "toss the paper" technique. I would not have been that brave.

Crystal

Yeah, I just can't be a perfectionist. Sometimes I just draw with my knife and skip the stylus all together. Try it. It's a great freedom. I don't take myself too seriously. What comes out comes out.