UKRay

Draw down stand explanation

Please excuse an enquiry from someone who has never made a western saddle in their life, but enjoys the craftsmanship you guys exhibit.

Following a lead from another post, I have just looked at a very fine looking draw down stand made by Ron's Tool Company www.ronstools.com . I am frustrated because I can't work out how it is used other than as a place to sit a saddle whilst you are working on it. Why is is called a 'draw down' stand? Does it pull the saddle down in some way? What makes it special? What makes it better than a conventional saddle rack? Can anyone show me a picture of one of these things being used?

Sorry to ask what is patently a bunch of silly questions but I have been looking at these things for a while and I just can't work out why anyone would want to spend so much money on one! Could one of you fine people enlighten me please? Ray

http://www.leathersupply.com/indexdvd.html#

Here is a link to the weaver leather version of the hydraulic draw down. Click on saddle master.

Barra

http://www.leathersupply.com/indexdvd.html#

Here is a link to the weaver leather version of the hydraulic draw down. Click on saddle master.

Barra

Great video Barra - thanks for that. I can see the need for one of these stands now but I still don't know what a draw down strap does. Is it just another way of fixing the saddle to the stand or does it (as I suspect) do something different?

The "draw down" is to aid in stretching a seat into a saddle. The seat starts out as a flat piece of heavy leather and must be shaped to the shape of the saddle seat. It is a difficult task and nearly impossible without a draw down strap. The hydraulic stands are great! Most saddlemakers make their own drawdown stands out of wooden planks and the seat is drawn down using ones foot on a lever attached to the strap.

Keith

The "draw down" is to aid in stretching a seat into a saddle. The seat starts out as a flat piece of heavy leather and must be shaped to the shape of the saddle seat. It is a difficult task and nearly impossible without a draw down strap. The hydraulic stands are great! Most saddlemakers make their own drawdown stands out of wooden planks and the seat is drawn down using ones foot on a lever attached to the strap.

Keith

Many thanks Keith & Barra - it all makes a lot more sense now.