BAD HIDE

Diy Leather Edge Machine

hs4PRqL.jpg

I was looking into mechanized edge machines ('cuz doing a lot of them by hand is the worst) and came across Weaver Leather's Edge Slicker, and it retails for $750 or something, so screw that, I'm not that professional. I showed it to my old man, and his inventive nature was off and running.

We started with a 3/4" shaft, turned it on a metal lathe to cut it down to 5/8" on each end for the bearings, then stepped down to 1/2" for the ends. Then we cut threads with a die set, there's fine threads under the chuck, normal half inch threads under the buffing wheel, and 3/4" threads on one end of the middle to hold the block in place. I welded a washer on the left side of the block, made up some mounts to hold the bearings and a guard to protect my fingers. My dad found an old motor that still worked from god knows where, a 4" pulley with 1/2" hole, and the chuck from an old radial arm saw accessory kit he never used. After we got it all together, I flipped the switch and used wood turning tools to turn the burnishing block to shape and put in the grooves. A little bit of paint, a little wiring, and a trip to find a sanding drum, and voilà.

It wobbles and rattles a bit, we're not machinists, but you can't really beat it for $40 in parts, some shop time at my dad's over the holidays, and some miscellaneous junk. Apologies for the camera phone pictures at night in the basement, but I was excited to have it finished, try it out, and share it.

Edited by BAD HIDE

Once in a while i cobbel things up when i think i can build what i need. Looks like it does a good job.

Looks great..I wobble and rattle a bit as well...

Nicely done. Fun to have a metal lathe. I saw somebody on here that mounted theirs vertically on the end of their bench, saving the bench space, may or may not work for your situation.

That's some good old fashion makin sumtin fer notin. Like the good old boys use to if it works only a short time it's worth the time and labor, I've been a guy who hates to waist stuff and love to build my own tools . I'm going to be making my own nylon mallets , soon as this weather breaks, to cold out for a wheelchair User makes me numb or is that dumb.

This is my edge machine. I turned a piece of Lignum Vitae to fit the motor shaft. The wood is so hard thet I even could thread the hole for a screw into the axle.

/ Knut

post-5173-0-45002500-1391939482_thumb.jp

I think you can use some pieces of wool felt crammed together if you put them on a drill.