tazzmann

Business Accounting Software

I didn't see a section in the business area for this, so sorry Johanna if I posted in the wrong place.

Anyway, I am new to the whole "Accounting" end of things and have bought Microsoft Small Business Accounting 2008 Professional. (Actually I have an MSDN subscription, so I got it for free :) ) It seems rather clunky for it being touted for the small business person. Maybe it is because I don't understand the accounting end of things as I should and can't afford an accountant as of yet to help me out or maybe it is because I am thinking I should be able to do things that you are just not allowed to in accounting. Like simply deposit a check for a loan to my company or keep track of inventory that I don't sell but use in the process of making goods. :ranting2:

Anyway, my question is this: What accounting software, if any, do you guys who have been in their own business for a while use? And why do you use that particular software (what are the features you like and don't like)?

Thanks!

I've been using Simply Accounting for over 20 yrs. I use it cause it's simple to use and understand. Besides, I was trained using this program, it simply works for me the best for keeping track of payables and receivables. I don't use the inventory portion. I just expense all inventory supplies, regardless of stock. That keeps it easy.

I'm sure if you were to contact your local chamber of commerce they would be able to help you out with training on a program that would work for you. There are actually several good ones out there that do the same thing.

I hope that helps you out.

I started using Quickbooks when I was the treasurer of a certain not to be named guild. Then I started using it for my own business. While it is pricey, I find it to be really good and easy to use. I like the different reports, graphs and charts it can do, and there is ALOT more to it than I used myself.

I use Quickbooks Simple Start - Online Edition. I don't have to worry about backing up my files, and I can access it wherever I'm at online. It has a ton of features, but I'm using a free version that came with a Dell computer a few years back, and it's worked great for me. You can save clients, save services and assign fees for that service, generate invoices, track profits, and tons of other stuff.

I tried two other accounting programs before discovering Quickbooks. It is the industry standard, and in my experience simply the best.

My wife just started a business and I found that Microsoft offers 2008 Accounting Express for FREE. Depending on your needs this maybe what you are looking for. It didn't take much time to set up, in fact it has templates for your type of business so the Ledger accounts are set up for you.

Here is the link http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/accounti...1729681033.aspx

Jeff

Yeah, this is basically the same one that I am using with a few less features. I think my frustration comes from the fact that I know nothing about accounting. I just wish accountants didn't cost so much or that I didn't need them to do "simple" things. :rolleyes2:

Tazz,

If you press the F1 key for help there are a bunch of topics that will help you. Also, you may find a book at the local library about accounting. It really depends on how your business structure is set up and how you plan to do your taxes, as to how complicated your accounting system should be. Like my wife, just starting out and a sole proprietor she just needs to record her expenses and sales for our tax guy at the end of the year.

I hope this helps.

Yeah, this is basically the same one that I am using with a few less features. I think my frustration comes from the fact that I know nothing about accounting. I just wish accountants didn't cost so much or that I didn't need them to do "simple" things. :rolleyes2:

Tazz,

If you press the F1 key for help there are a bunch of topics that will help you. Also, you may find a book at the local library about accounting. It really depends on how your business structure is set up and how you plan to do your taxes, as to how complicated your accounting system should be. Like my wife, just starting out and a sole proprietor she just needs to record her expenses and sales for our tax guy at the end of the year.

I hope this helps.

Thanks. I got a Office Accounting step by step book, but it assumes you have some clue about accounting terms, which I do not. F1 is typical Microsoft help, which isn't very good or readable. I am set up as a sole proprietorship in a manufacturing business and according to the state of Washington, I have to pay taxes Quarterly and pay use tax on equipment, etc. A big pain! No wonder small businesses have a hard time keeping alive. You have to spend all your time doing accounting or all your profit on Accountants. :ranting2:

I know it's tough, my wife was a "contractor" last year and had to pay quarterly taxes, she spoke with someone at H&R Block who helped her with the quarterly taxes for free, and we did our income taxes with him for just $200. Good luck!

Thanks. I got a Office Accounting step by step book, but it assumes you have some clue about accounting terms, which I do not. F1 is typical Microsoft help, which isn't very good or readable. I am set up as a sole proprietorship in a manufacturing business and according to the state of Washington, I have to pay taxes Quarterly and pay use tax on equipment, etc. A big pain! No wonder small businesses have a hard time keeping alive. You have to spend all your time doing accounting or all your profit on Accountants. :ranting2:

Thanks. I found a long lost friend of mine who was an accountant and I am going to get on the phone with her tonight and she is going to walk me through some of it to help make more sense out of it.

I got Quickbooks when I started my business, but I have yet to figure out how to efficiently enter my receipts for supplies, or how to configure the tax portions so I know how much I owe and to whom! (since I pay city and state tax)

I also found something worrisome last night when I was looking at how to enter my receipts for expenses - it seems like my local Tandy is charging .2% less tax than the state things they should be, so it's not clear if I technically still owe the state money (use tax) on portions of those purchases.

I've worked with various accounting software packages for the better part of 10 years and would highly suggest QuickBooks. I've worked with OneWritePlus, PeachTree, Macola v6 - v7, RealWorld, Mas90 and BusinessWorks to name a few.

Once QuickBooks is set up properly, you can do all your taxes with it. I've beta tested QuickBooks versions for many years, so I have a pretty in-depth knowledge of how the program works. I'm also a few classes shy of an accounting degree, but just not motivated enough to finish it since I really really don't want to be a CPA.

If you have questions, shoot me a PM and I'll try to answer them for you.

I used an accountant for my taxes this year for the first time.

She gave me a cd of QuickBooks simple start for free.

I love it.

David Theobald

I have been looking at different software programs, but I can't see spending $150+ for software, when I can get the Microsoft ones for free. Though I may have to bite the bullet and get Quickbooks since that seems to be what everyone is using. :(

I have been looking at different software programs, but I can't see spending $150+ for software, when I can get the Microsoft ones for free. Though I may have to bite the bullet and get Quickbooks since that seems to be what everyone is using. :(

Tazz,

Check this out:

I've tried to paste a link in here from Ebay....try searching ebay for quickbooks simple start...

you can buy it now for $4.95

Dave Theobald

Edited by David

Thanks David, I will check it out! :)

I use GnuCash, http://www.gnucash.org/, for my personal finances. It should work great for business accounting. Seems like with each version they tailor it more and more to businesses. It uses the double-entry accounting which I really like. Best of all, its FREE.

Jason