hollyg

Best Portable Walking Foot Machine?

Hello everyone,

I have been on here before. My question is what would be the best portable sewing machine that has a built in walking foot. I will not be sewing Chaps,saddles or belts. I mostly will be sewing upholstry weight leather thou sometimes I will be sewing many layers,I am mostly going to make purses,leather corsets......etc......... And does anyone know of a machine that is heavy duty enough for doing free-motion on leather if you look at my pictures you can see the detail? I have a industrial pfaff 145 that wieghs a million pounds.The reason I need a portable is I would like to sew in my little gallery in front of the public..Any Advce is welcome!!!!! I have been looking at the sailrite portable machines on ebay but I have seeen some people on this site say they are not a good machine....... I work as a clerk in astore but I really want my own business so bad before I turn 50 at the end of the year. The funny thing is I have no idea WHY I am so obsessed.....?????

oppppssss I forgot to say Thankyou!

Holly

post-17594-030810800 1297105260_thumb.jp

Edited by hollyg

Hi Holly,

Just wanted to say your work is amazing!

sorry I don't know the answer to your question, but I'm sure there are many sewing machine experts here who can help you.

good luck,

ken

Hi Holly,

Just wanted to say your work is amazing!

sorry I don't know the answer to your question, but I'm sure there are many sewing machine experts here who can help you.

good luck,

ken

Thankyou Ken I appreciate the comment!!!!!Here's another picture.... Do youpost-17594-055831800 1297112122_thumb.jppost-17594-055831800 1297112122_thumb.jp like to work with leather?

Edited by hollyg

Holly;

I hate to tell you this, but all of the portable walking foot machines have the same casing and identical operational design. They are all copies of copies of copies of the Thompson Mini Walkers of yore. Some are better built, having better finishing of the castings, or better quality metal parts. From what I can see, the Sailrite is much more expensive and better looking than any of the others. The only way to know if it does what you want is to buy one that has a 30 day money back guarantee and put it through the paces. Most, but not all, of the eBay machines are pure garbage.

Be aware that all of the portable walking foot machines can only sew 1/4" as setup. You will have to modify the pressor feet on a grinder and elongate a mounting slot to sew thicker material. If the pressure of the leather causes the machine to stall at low speed, you'll need to purchase the Sailrite Monster Wheel conversion, adding over 7 pounds to the now not-so-portable machine.

Pray that the box isn't dropped on its back end during shipping to you. The shock can cause the main shaft to jam into the bearings and bend critical moving parts attached to it (it happened to me).

When I went to visit Toledo Industrial Sewing Machines, last fall, they had two brands of portable walking foot machines for sale. They go over them with a fine tooth comb, adjust the clearances, set them up for the thread the buyer wants to use, sew them off and repackage them to survive shipping. I think they sell for about $400, plus shipping. Their phone number is 866-362-7397.

You could build a rolling stand or cart and put the machine you have on it and take to where ever you want to go if you have a van or truck.

Personally i think sewing out in public would be more of a headache than it's worth. People will be wanting to touch, feel, and just generally be in the way unless you have something built where they can't get to you. Make a movie and play it on a portable TV that you take with you to show that your making the bags.

Holly;

I hate to tell you this, but all of the portable walking foot machines have the same casing and identical operational design. They are all copies of copies of copies of the Thompson Mini Walkers of yore. Some are better built, having better finishing of the castings, or better quality metal parts. From what I can see, the Sailrite is much more expensive and better looking than any of the others. The only way to know if it does what you want is to buy one that has a 30 day money back guarantee and put it through the paces. Most, but not all, of the eBay machines are pure garbage.

Be aware that all of the portable walking foot machines can only sew 1/4" as setup. You will have to modify the pressor feet on a grinder and elongate a mounting slot to sew thicker material. If the pressure of the leather causes the machine to stall at low speed, you'll need to purchase the Sailrite Monster Wheel conversion, adding over 7 pounds to the now not-so-portable machine.

Pray that the box isn't dropped on its back end during shipping to you. The shock can cause the main shaft to jam into the bearings and bend critical moving parts attached to it (it happened to me).

When I went to visit Toledo Industrial Sewing Machines, last fall, they had two brands of portable walking foot machines for sale. They go over them with a fine tooth comb, adjust the clearances, set them up for the thread the buyer wants to use, sew them off and repackage them to survive shipping. I think they sell for about $400, plus shipping. Their phone number is 866-362-7397.

Hi Wiz,

Thankyou for the reply,hhhhmmmmmm I have bought a juki 98 quilter's edition from ebay and it works great for my quilting. I have been ripped off ROYALLY from the shop in Eureka Boyd's sewing center I bought 3 berninas (one was $3000) I wore them out and killed them it didn't do me any good giving them my money,it just funded the fat store owner's collection of Greasy diamonds on his fat short hands YUCK and he was always trying to touch me when I went in his store!!!! So you see the kind of work I do? What do think would be good ? Something not too big remember I am mostly sewing thinner leathers and something under $2000? My friend who fixes machines has a singer 16-88 which really has a built-in walking foot. It cracks me up on ebay they advertise machines that sew leather and they don't even have a built in walking foot. I've had pretty good luck with that pfaff 145 I bought on ebay for $350........ Do you think I should save for a tippman boss does anyone sell those used? Anyway I appriciate your help and time !!!!!!!Does the Toledo industrail sewing machines have a website?.Thankyou again and kind regards,

Holly

Hi Wiz,

So you see the kind of work I do? What do think would be good ? Something not too big remember I am mostly sewing thinner leathers and something under $2000? My friend who fixes machines has a singer 16-88 which really has a built-in walking foot.

Do you think I should save for a tippman boss does anyone sell those used? Anyway I appriciate your help and time !!!!!!!Does the Toledo industrail sewing machines have a website?.Thank you again and kind regards,

Holly

I thought you wanted a portable walking foot machine. I'm not remembering anything about the Singer 16-88. Maybe one of our dealers will answer your question about it. Are you sure it is a walking foot and not a jumping foot powered by a leaf spring? Those jumping foot machines don't do very good work on slick material. When the feed dogs pull the leather back and then retract, the outer foot that moved back suddenly snaps forward. I once had a 31-something like that and the stitch length was all over the place on polished surface belts. Also, it was only good for #69 thread and used garment machine needles.

The answer is to the second machine question is: NO! That machine is for heavier leather projects and requires one hand to operate it. This only leaves you one hand to guide the work!

You're not the first person to ask for the Toledo Industrial Sewing Machines website. Suffice it to say, call Bob Kovar, at 866-362-7397, during normal business hours (in Eastern Time Zone).

I thought you wanted a portable walking foot machine. I'm not remembering anything about the Singer 16-88. Maybe one of our dealers will answer your question about it. Are you sure it is a walking foot and not a jumping foot powered by a leaf spring? Those jumping foot machines don't do very good work on slick material. When the feed dogs pull the leather back and then retract, the outer foot that moved back suddenly snaps forward. I once had a 31-something like that and the stitch length was all over the place on polished surface belts. Also, it was only good for #69 thread and used garment machine needles.

The answer is to the second machine question is: NO! That machine is for heavier leather projects and requires one hand to operate it. This only leaves you one hand to guide the work!

You're not the first person to ask for the Toledo Industrial Sewing Machines website. Suffice it to say, call Bob Kovar, at 866-362-7397, during normal business hours (in Eastern Time Zone).

I do want a portable machine the only reason I mentioned a boss because it looks like it would be easier to transport.... I am not sewing a lot of slippery leather. So you think the ones Bob sells would be the best? I am condused my juki 98-qe has a attachment for a walking foot BUT it's a nightmare because the leather gets stuck not because it's too thick it's just not made for it. I guess on my pfaff 145 when I sew throu layers it evenly goes throu,I guess it is a jumping foot,yikes it knows how to grab ur fingers!!!But I love it.....I'll keep u posted thanku for ur help....

I do want a portable machine the only reason I mentioned a boss because it looks like it would be easier to transport.... I am not sewing a lot of slippery leather. So you think the ones Bob sells would be the best? I am condused my juki 98-qe has a attachment for a walking foot BUT it's a nightmare because the leather gets stuck not because it's too thick it's just not made for it. I guess on my pfaff 145 when I sew throu layers it evenly goes throu,I guess it is a jumping foot,yikes it knows how to grab ur fingers!!!But I love it.....I'll keep u posted thanku for ur help....

Hi Wiz,

I talked to Bob so now I have to save some money .

thankyou,

Holly

Hi Holly - sounds like you've already found what you're looking for. I just wanted to add to what Wiz said about the Tippmann Boss. I have one, and love it, but it's not realistic for the amount of sewing you're doing on a particular piece. It looks like you need both hands to hold and maneuver your items, and the Boss doesn't allow for that. Plus, with as much stitching as you have on those example pieces, you'll quickly tire of the Boss' manual operation and be wishing you'd bought a powered machine.

I once had a lady bring a 31-15 that someone built a box for with a home sewing machine motor on it. She wanted to sell it to me but I already had a nice on on a table.

I almost wonder if something like that wouldn't work for you. I know you would never find one all set up already but it would be a fairly simple conversion.

Looking at those bags you make reminded me of sculpted boot tops a friend of mine used to make with a 31-15. He raved about the ability of this machine to sew multiple layers

of light leather.

The is a 31-20 on ebay right now. Same as the 31-15 except it has a larger bobbin. They are not walking foot machines though!

Sim

Edited by simran

What Wiz said.

In my experience, any machine that can handle multiple layers of even light leather (and not mess it up) is going to weigh in the neighborhood of 65 pounds and up. Anything less will not handle the work. Lifting these "portables" up and onto a work table (which has to be heavy-duty enough for it!) is a real chore. Portability is always a trade-off on a working machine.

kate is right...portable is relative.

i've had a "long bed" mini-brute for years. it will sew 3 layers of 5-6 oz. leather. but it is heavy.

the lightest thread i have tried is # 69, the heaviest #135, usually use #92 .

if i had it to do over, i would pick the sailrite with a monster wheel and solid state foot control. though that is much more expensive.

the leather presser foot is just a regular foot with grooves ground off.

if you do choose one of these machines for public displays, search around for the portable setups that yachters use to sew their sails while afloat. some are pretty clever.

as a last thought, except for bagwork most leatherworker doing harness and holster work don't seem to like these machine. that said, i've been in a couple of car upholstery shops that used either the mini-brute or the sailrite and a canvasworker in wyoming with a thompson.