keplerts

Screw In Concho Help

Would anyone like to share their secrect for installing/removing screw in conchos? I have tried by hand (very difficult); Hammer and screw driver (not good for the concho). Do the Pro Concho tools from Proleptic work well? What do most of you use that would make this part of saddle building/repair work more pleasant? Thanks for any advice.

Tom

A few thoughts on screwing.......and on unscrewing.

1. It is always good to have a quality screwdriver....one that fits the screw propely. The cheapo one that you got out of the bargain bin should have stayed there.

2. Any screw is easier to install, and stronger if a proper pilot hole is drilled.

3. If installing brass screws, or other "weaker" screws, it is preferable to find a quality steel screw that matches it and install the concho with that one first. After it has done the job of cutting a thread to hold the screw, remove it, and put in the weaker screw. It will help to lubricate the screw threads with some wax or parafin.

When removing screws that have been in place for a long time, it is usually very helpful to apply some heat. NO ! Don't put a blowtorch to it and catch the saddle on fire. LOL If you have an electic soldering gun or pencil type, or a woodburning pen, use that to heat up the screw by touching it to the screw for a bit. Or you can heat up some other piece of metal, and use that to transfer heat to the screw. The heat will loosen the grip of the screw in the wood, rawhide, fiberglass, whatever.

I have a piece of a broom handle, . . . about 10 inches long with a round piece of wood on it's end, . . . and a piece of rubber floor mat tacked onto the round piece.

I can take both hands on this baby, . . . lean my 180 or so pounds into it, . . . and it is very seldom that I do not get it to come off. I always use this first, . . . and in some cases, . . . I'll nudge the concho with a whack or two from a small rubber mallet.

As a last resort, . . . I have a special pair of pump pliers that I just barely catch the outside edge with the flat lip and break them loose, . . . then to the broom handle tool.

I hate seeing bent up conchos where some hooligan took them off without using any real care.

May God bless,

Dwight

post-6728-0-81473300-1397735661_thumb.jp

post-6728-0-65527300-1397735684_thumb.jp

I really like Proleptic's Concho turners. They have 2 sizes and make life so much easier! A good investment.

Sandy

This is exactly why I like this forum. You ask a question and you get good answers! Thanks for your replys. Great home made idea Dwight! I think I will make something this this. Unfortunitly I AM the hooligan that pretty much destroyed the conchos on the saddle I'm currently working on. Also, thanks for the pictures..... I need pictures.

I'll have to save a little money for the Proleptic Concho Turners. I like when my life is easier!

Thanks,

Tom

Like Dwight, I made my own "concho tool". Not hard to make, and saves a lot of cuss words.

Bob

Again, thanks for the suggestions! I am making my "home made" version now. But, I think I'll save for the Pro concho turner as well. Just putting saddle soap on the threads of the one I'm working has really helped with re-installing the old conchos. Thanks everyone!

Tom

Personally, I wouldn't waste my money on the Proleptic turners. I bought mine years ago when (I think) Troy West first started selling them. It worked great, but as soon as Proleptic got them, the grippers weren't worth a damn. I'm going to make my own after reading how to above. Thanks for that!