Sign in to follow this  
chiefjason

Beltslide For M&p Shield

This is one of the holsters I had going when I started the vinegroon thread. Burnishing immediately after grooning was a definite plus. That was a great tip from Markush. I had already molded the holster though. It seemed to mold much better this time. I may try grooning, burnishing, and molding in one sitting in the future.

I have to say I am happy with how the edges burnished. I'm not real thrilled that I did not get the edges sanded as evenly as I thought I did. My dremel broke mid project and I tried to finish with the bit chucked in a drill. Just not the same. I have since replaced my dremel. And seriously looking at going with a drill press soon. I am also patiently awaiting some 4-5 oz Hermann Oak to try making a lined holster. It will certainly improve the interior.

This is all leather holster #4. It's hand stitched at 1/4" spacing with waxed thread. Belt loops need some work too. Any comments or critiques are appreciated. Every one is a learning experience. My hybrid beltslides are moving more now so they have taken most of my time this week. I'm a fan of OWB if you can't tell.

IMG_0513.jpg

IMG_0514.jpg

Probably the best edge on the holster.

IMG_0517.jpg

This one you can see some of the gap in the leather. I worked hard to get it to this point.

IMG_0518.jpg

The holster turned out nice. I personally avoid having the sight hang out like that. Not only to protect the muzzle but also to avoid the front sight trying to hang on the draw.

The holster turned out nice. I personally avoid having the sight hang out like that. Not only to protect the muzzle but also to avoid the front sight trying to hang on the draw.

Thanks. Nearly all of my holsters are either beltslide or the IWB hybrid tuckable's, so the slide extends out the bottom of all of them. I do have an all leather that covers the entire slide. It's the first one I ever made. Anyway, I've never had an issue as long as you do a nice sight channel. And I have done full speed draw and fire practice quite a few times. I take 2 wooden dowels and tape them to the top of the slide so that the channel is higher than the front site through the entire holster.

I completely understand the concern though. The last thing you want is the site hanging on the holster when you need it most. That would make for a bad day. thumbsdown.gif

Nice work. If you make the slots a little wider I think you will be fine. I punch a 3/8 hole on each end and then cut between.

Michael

Not bad sir, keep working at it.

My only thing with this is... that short of a gun it is unecessary to make a belt slide style for it.. your 90 percet to a pancake.. might as well just cover the rest of the gun up.

Not bad sir, keep working at it.

My only thing with this is... that short of a gun it is unecessary to make a belt slide style for it.. your 90 percet to a pancake.. might as well just cover the rest of the gun up.

True enough. Good point. Might give that a shot later.

A friend of mine was carrying in a Yaqui slide style holster. He sat down in a chair and the muzzle caught on the chair's arm and pushed the gun right out of the holster and onto the floor. I believe he threw that holster away.

Bronson

Nice work. If you make the slots a little wider I think you will be fine. I punch a 3/8 hole on each end and then cut between.

Michael

That's the same way I do it as well. After cutting my slots I run a dremel with a small sanding drum clean the edges up and the burnish them.

A friend of mine was carrying in a Yaqui slide style holster. He sat down in a chair and the muzzle caught on the chair's arm and pushed the gun right out of the holster and onto the floor. I believe he threw that holster away.

Bronson

same thing happened to me..working plainclothes no less...i had to trap the gun in my armpit and keep it there for a little over an hour until i was alone and able to reholster it...never wore that holster again.....