Sign in to follow this  
goldpony

Types/styles Of Western Saddle Fenders?

Hello. I am curious about the design/shape/style/types of western saddle fenders. The part that lies against the rider's calf can be different widths and lengths. Are there names for the different fender shapes? Obviously, it keeps the rider's leg from direct contact with the horse's side. Do the fenders make a difference as to which boots you ride in? Thanks! This forum is fabulous!

fender design does vary depending on the use and style of the saddle, certain shapes a narrow straight line fender was for example seen on cutter saddles while a ranch or roping saddle is more apt to have a wider fuller look. Saddles with exposed stirrup leathers have a straight line front line. That having been said, the design of a fender has to do with balance as far as the over all look of the saddle. When I first started working on saddles I traced off many fenders of saddles brought to me for repairs, if I found them interesting. I will still "borrow" a design I like but now tend to have several favorites I use over and over, but most are used on only one or two types of saddle (roper, cutter,barrel, etc). As far as fender design as it relates to the type of foot wear one uses I have addressed in another posting of yours. I hope this has been of some help to you.

Horsewreck - Thank You!