highnoonhunter

Tippmann Boss Feedback?

Hi all........... been a while since I've posted anything but peek in now and then.

I've got to the point that I'm doing enough leatherwork so that it's still a hobby, but a hobby that's keeping me tied up! I mostly make archery leather items during the late fall, winter, and early spring, with the occasional guitar strap, key fob, purse, holster, knife sheath, or possibles pouch or bag. I hand punch and use the saddle stitch on all my items........ thus, the time it consumes.

So I've read lots of stuff, and watched a few videos here and on other sites about the Tippmann Boss. I notice that a lot of folks have trouble, only to sell their machine, and then it seems someone else has picked one up at a good price because the last person couldn't get it to perform correctly, and they get it working fine....... or so it seems......

I realize some may see this post and say: DO A SEARCH! But I have made website posts before praising an item I have purchased, and 6 months later it turns out to be junk, and on the flipside, I've bought stuff before, and not be at all satisfied with it, but after getting it set up, and going through a learning curve, 6 months later, you couldn't pry it from me!

I truly don't think there's an electric machine in my future. I feel a great electric machine would take me several years to get my money back, and, I like the thought of having something I can use without the burden of electricity dictating when I can use it, or where I can use it. I think I might like the Tippmann Boss, and I really want one, but I just wanted to get some honest opinions as to why, or why not, you do or don't own one.

My leatherwork consists of sewing/stitching anything from 2 layers of 2-3OZ leather, and at times, up to 3 layers of 7-8OZ leather..................... depending on my project.

Thanks in advance!

highnoon

I have two of them and together they have sewen over 3000 holsters plus assorted accessories, knife sheaths and archery gear. I like them a lot. I also have a aerostitch for jobs where the narrow throat of the Boss is a problem. They are built like a tank and the only thing I have broken are a couple of needles and a presser foot cable that wore out. If you are even slighty mechanically inclined you can tear the entire machine apart and reassemble it yourself. It does not work well on garment weight leather but anything heavier up to 3/4" of veg tan it will sew it no problem.

Setting it up and using it is a lot less complicated than a powered machine. I know people report having trouble sewing and I would guess that is inexperience at sewing and failing to call Tippmann for assistance.

A lot of people must like them as they sell used generally for about 75% of new price.

I'm sure there will be someone along to tell you how awful they are. I'm just relating my experience and opinion.

I have two of them and together they have sewen over 3000 holsters plus assorted accessories, knife sheaths and archery gear. I like them a lot. I also have a aerostitch for jobs where the narrow throat of the Boss is a problem. They are built like a tank and the only thing I have broken are a couple of needles and a presser foot cable that wore out. If you are even slighty mechanically inclined you can tear the entire machine apart and reassemble it yourself. It does not work well on garment weight leather but anything heavier up to 3/4" of veg tan it will sew it no problem.

Setting it up and using it is a lot less complicated than a powered machine. I know people report having trouble sewing and I would guess that is inexperience at sewing and failing to call Tippmann for assistance.

A lot of people must like them as they sell used generally for about 75% of new price.

I'm sure there will be someone along to tell you how awful they are. I'm just relating my experience and opinion.

Thanks Denster........

I figure they are about like Fords........ some like them, some don't. But it comforts me knowing you have used your's a lot. I am fairly mechanically inclined, and sometimes enjoy taking stuff apart just because.......... LOL! Even if it ain't broke.....

I sometimes add overlays of 2oz and maybe up to 4oz onto 5-7oz leather. I glue it before stitching. Would that be doable on the Boss?

I've had my Tippmann Boss for about a year now and it can do everything I want it to do. It has it's advantages and disadvantages but to me those are minor. For one it is 23 pounds and I put mine in a case for portable use on site. My friend Owen and I have used it multiple times at his shop where we couldn't lug his heavy Singer machine to any shop. The negative side is you have to pull the handle to do one stitch at a time and doing belts will take a lot longer to do. On the flip side, doing one stitch at a time gives you precision and control that you can't do as well on a regular automated machine. If you want total control, go with the Tippmann Boss. I would personally recommend this and another machine like the Cobra series(see Steve on that one) to get all your leather sewing needs done.

Mooshi

Thanks Denster........

I figure they are about like Fords........ some like them, some don't. But it comforts me knowing you have used your's a lot. I am fairly mechanically inclined, and sometimes enjoy taking stuff apart just because.......... LOL! Even if it ain't broke.....

I sometimes add overlays of 2oz and maybe up to 4oz onto 5-7oz leather. I glue it before stitching. Would that be doable on the Boss?

Love mine!

As I had mentioned in a similar post, I bought mine as 'new, but out of warranty'- it was a demo & someone had screwed it up & we has nothing but problems with it. Bottom line, Tippmann had it fixed at no charge to us, replaced a bunch of broken & bent parts & assemblies. Now, it is a wonderful machine & will handle from 4oz on up with minor or no adjustments. The guys at Tippmann are fantastic & they stand behind their product.

WHOOPS- I meant 6oz, not 4oz... Sorry. I should learn to proofread- not just once, but twice, walk away, come back later, then proofread- again.

Still, 6oz up to 3/4" is pretty darned good. (Btw, the 6oz was 2 layers of patent leather, which tends to be stiffer than the same weight of garment leather.)

Again, my apologies. I don't mean to mislead.

russ

Edited by whinewine

Thanks Mooshi and whinewine!

Mooshi.............. that's exactly why I prefer to try and get the Boss, is so I can take it to folk festivals and archery rendezvous' and not need power..... I feel it would be more portable and handy then an electric.

whinewaine......... That's really great to know that they stand behind their product like that for sure! 4oz and up sounds doable on my end!

Edited by highnoonhunter

Doing overlays is not a problem. Sounds like the Boss would fill your needs. I second the stitch precision which is the reason I use it for 98% of my holster work. Belts only take a little longer but I generally do them on the aerostitch anyway as my arm doesn't get as tired. Speed is not really an issue as you can sew as fast with the Boss as most folks run their powered machines.

Tippmann service after the sale is great and if you have questions don't be afraid to call. Very friendly folks.

By the way I've had one of your side quivers for a couple of years now. I like it a lot.

By the way I've had one of your side quivers for a couple of years now. I like it a lot.

Thanks! I'm glad you like it! Do you think, by how my quivers are made, that I can get a bit of use from the Boss? I know I will still have a lot of lacing to do, and the center seam will still need to be done by hand, but I suspect it should cut down my stitching time would it not?

Bobby

Thanks! I'm glad you like it! Do you think, by how my quivers are made, that I can get a bit of use from the Boss? I know I will still have a lot of lacing to do, and the center seam will still need to be done by hand, but I suspect it should cut down my stitching time would it not?

Bobby

Bobby

Examining the one I have. If you increased the cup and top guard from 3" to 3&1/4" so it could be rotated around the cylinder arm once it was glued up I could do all of the sewing with the exception of the closure at the back in under five minutes. That is everything including the tab for the sling and the cup and top guard attachment points.

I don't know how long it takes you to do all of that lacing with the artificial sinew but I imagi8ne the time savings would be significant. The Boss is also useful for things llke pocket quivers (I've sold a lot of those) bracers (particularly with sewen in stiffeners) and just a whole slew of other things.

If I thought about it long enough I could probably come up with a way to close the back with the Boss also. Just a really usefull machine.

GEEZ!

By the time I use the thronging punches and hand punch all that, and then go back and stitch it, I've wasted a day! Well....... half a day anyhow! I've changed my quivers a bit last year...... the bottom part mostly. They still look the same basically, but made the bottom cup a little deeper.

Regardless, I can do slight modifications that will only be visual to accompany the sewing machine.

GEEZ!

By the time I use the thronging punches and hand punch all that, and then go back and stitch it, I've wasted a day! Well....... half a day anyhow! I've changed my quivers a bit last year...... the bottom part mostly. They still look the same basically, but made the bottom cup a little deeper.

Regardless, I can do slight modifications that will only be visual to accompany the sewing machine.

Bobby

I guess it would save you quite a bit of time. You wouldn't have to make much of a change as the cylinder bed on the Boss is 3" in diameter so just increasing the diameter a bit so it wouldn't drag as you rotated it sewing the top and bottom rollover welts would be enough.

I did think of a way you could close the back with the Boss. If you were to take a 1" wide strip of say 3OZ the length of the cup and glue it in overlapping the rear seam you could then stitch it parralel to the ends just above the rollover on the top and bottom and again top and bottom about 1&1/4" in from both ends. You would still have to punch the holes for the attaching thongs of course.

Oh...... I no longer do that style, although, I would possibly go back to doing that style edge along the openings, were I to get a Boss! LOL!

Here's a few pics of the newer ones with lacing around the edges, but you can see that I would still save lots of time with my stitching:

N006001.jpg

N006002.jpg

progress12-13-10003.jpg

Wow! That is nice. You have changed the design a lot. Have to revise my estimate on stitching time. On the one you show the areas that are stitched I'd estimate could be done on the Boss in 20 to 30 minutes.

Wow! That is nice. You have changed the design a lot. Have to revise my estimate on stitching time. On the one you show the areas that are stitched I'd estimate could be done on the Boss in 20 to 30 minutes.

Thanks Denster!

The bear paw relief is not the norm. Just something custom someone wanted. But, I feel the Boss could/would open up more opportunities for me to do that kinda work, because most the time I turn it down, unless someone offers me a goofy price. I think I could offer to do more if I wasn't taking so much time doing stitching.

What number is your quiver? Does it have the fleece cinch?

Mine is #30 . No it doesn't have a fleece cinch.

Oh...... I no longer do that style, although, I would possibly go back to doing that style edge along the openings, were I to get a Boss! LOL!

Here's a few pics of the newer ones with lacing around the edges, but you can see that I would still save lots of time with my stitching:

Cool! I love my boss, but look forward to the day I can afford a powered stitcher. The only thing I'd suggest you give serious consideration to - if you're sewing large items like that, you'll need one arm to cycle the action on the Boss, and the other to hold the item you're sewing.... How are you going to curl/maneuver such a large piece of leather as you stitch your item? It's easy enough to do with a small item like a holster (the only thing I sew right now), but I've still found some difficulty when it comes time to work with wide holsters and curling them to turn them as I stitch - the throat on the Boss is pretty shallow.

The "Boss" takes a bit of getting used to if you have any experience with a "standard" sewing machine that does clothing material.

I still reach occasionally with my left hand behind the needle to lift the presser foot, . . . duh, . . .

The good side beyond the durability of the machine, . . . is the people who make them. Mine got out of time, . . . rythem, . . . and I got out of patience. Called Ben at Tippmann, . . . told him I needed help with a capital "H" and he said bring it on in.

Three hours later, my machine was sitting on his desk, . . . after a few of those doctor like, . . . "Hmmm"s, . . . "Ahhh"s, . . . and an "Uh Oh" or two, . . . he grabbed a battery drill and proceeded to disembowel my machine. When he stitched her back up, . . . she was sewing like she should.

Cost, . . . a hand shake, and a "Thank You". That is my kind of warranty, . . . my kind of service, . . . and they are my kind of people.

May God bless,

Dwight

Sorry to revive a dead thread, but would anyone be kind enough to post some examples of stitchwork that has been done on the Tippmann Boss. maybe a few close ups of how the stitches themselves look front and back. Im seriously considering buying one this weekend after only a month of building holsters, but cant find anywhere that shows the actual stitch work it does.

Thanks in advance!

Dan

Go to the holster and knife sheath topic and look at some of Particles work. Those are all stitched on the Boss and are an excellent example of what can be done.

Go to the holster and knife sheath topic and look at some of Particles work. Those are all stitched on the Boss and are an excellent example of what can be done.

cheers.gif

cheers.gif

I'll second that....watched his (Particle) vid last night over a glass of wine.......tasty!!

The purse, stock wrap w/ shell loops, and large sheath in my gallery were all done on my Boss. I transport it weekly to the shop where I turn out work, so the light weight is a great bonus.