leatheroo

tutorial video ...wrapped and braided bracelet

i know anne was going to do a tutorial, but i found myself making another bracelet today and thought i would video it for all those who have asked about the technique. i thought a video might be a bit more helpful than photos so if you are interested it can be found on youtube under the title ....wrapped and braided bracelet... here is the link

Unfortunately i forgot about the zoom on the camera until the end..so if you cant quite see what is going on, be patient and towards the end there is a close up of the braiding.

Clayb i am still interested in how you do yours as this is the only braid i can work out how to do, so maybe some time.........

Thank you leatheroo very well done.

Rob

Nice Tutorial, Roo! Seeing the video was actually better to me than a series of pics.

Thank you so much for this!

Interesting. I still do mine a bit different. I first glue a 1" piece on the back side of the lace come up through the hole and start wrapping. Once wrapped I brought the last wrap to the back side and up through the hole and started braiding with one continuous piece of lace and started braiding. For a two tone I did my glued splice on the back side and had figured out just where the new color would come up through the hole. But your changing colors would probably work easier. Also you are braiding to the out side of the V which makes for a wider V and I braid to the inside of that V which makes it a tighter V. I had a few people in my class that I taught do the wider V like you are showing. I also end mine by going around that last 3 and instead of going back through the whole I tuck it under on the top side.

As to the finish, I use Carnauba Cream. If I am using natural lace or factory dyed lace I dunk it in it. then rub it in by hand which makes the bracelet softer and more flexible. While rubbing it in I also start shaping it into a bracelet shape. So even UN hooked it is in a bracelet shape.

Great idea of a video on this one. It is so cool to see how some one else came up with "how to".

Tom, Clay you should both write yours up bet they are different still.

Well I am off to the Valley Fair to do demo's in our guilds booth here for the weekend. by the way my chaps and purse both took 1ST places and the purse took a best of show in amateur division. (unfortunately there was not much competition)

first off a great tutorial thank so much.. but is it just my computer or is there no sound? i was so looking forward to hearing what Leatheroo sounds like after seeing that Avatar of hers :crazy: nice job Roo!!

Quick update: This method also works well using round satin cord instead of leather lace. I made a simple leather bracelet then wrapped with black and did the herringbone pattern in bright red. I'd love to post a pic for you but when I took it to show my wife at the convenience store where she works part time, it sold right out of my hand. Dang, now I've got to make more. :rolleyes2:

hi hiloboy, there was sound but i had to trim the video alot to keep it under the youtube allowed 10 mins...so i deleted the sound.....

first off a great tutorial thank so much.. but is it just my computer or is there no sound? i was so looking forward to hearing what Leatheroo sounds like after seeing that Avatar of hers :crazy: nice job Roo!!

That was a cool tutorial. I'm gonna try it.

Tom

Interesting. I still do mine a bit different. I first glue a 1" piece on the back side of the lace come up through the hole and start wrapping. Once wrapped I brought the last wrap to the back side and up through the hole and started braiding with one continuous piece of lace and started braiding. For a two tone I did my glued splice on the back side and had figured out just where the new color would come up through the hole. But your changing colors would probably work easier. Also you are braiding to the out side of the V which makes for a wider V and I braid to the inside of that V which makes it a tighter V. I had a few people in my class that I taught do the wider V like you are showing. I also end mine by going around that last 3 and instead of going back through the whole I tuck it under on the top side.

As to the finish, I use Carnauba Cream. If I am using natural lace or factory dyed lace I dunk it in it. then rub it in by hand which makes the bracelet softer and more flexible. While rubbing it in I also start shaping it into a bracelet shape. So even UN hooked it is in a bracelet shape.

Great idea of a video on this one. It is so cool to see how some one else came up with "how to".

Tom, Clay you should both write yours up bet they are different still.

Well I am off to the Valley Fair to do demo's in our guilds booth here for the weekend. by the way my chaps and purse both took 1ST places and the purse took a best of show in amateur division. (unfortunately there was not much competition)

I have plans to make just that but I have a serious schedule coming up and It's my wish to make one (two) more sometime in the near future. Got the hardware for two more yesterday so hopefully. I'll take pics allright but the how to may be put on hold until after my semester (middle of August).

Tom

Thanks for doing the video. Really helped me get a bit of a handle on some of the instructions on braiding that I have read. :specool:

Crystal

"I'm a good ol' boy,

You know my mama loves me

But she dont understand

They keep showing my hands and not my face on TV"

Dont know if they have The Dukes of Hazard in Australia, but that theme song by Waylon was the first thing that went through my mind when I watched the video.

I'll try and write up some instructions for you Caroline on the differences in how you did yours and how I did the one I sent to Leathercat. (you could just take her's apart and figure it out yourself, she wouldn't mind would she?) I learned it off Rene Berend's video so I am not sure it would be ethical to do a tutorial here on the forum on it.

yes we had dukes of hazard in australia....I'm just a middle aged mum, i love to hide behind my avatar!!!!! lol !!!

You might have been able to get away with saying you were "just a middle aged mum" a couple years ago before you joined up on Leatherworker. Now you are an internationally known leather artist with fans and everything. You aren't going to be able to hide behind that avatar for a whole lot longer. The paparazzi are probably hiding in the shadows waiting for thier chance already so make sure you are smiling :)

Fantastic and THANK YOU so much!

ArtS

I'm having a bit of trouble with this project.

1. what width bracelet are you using?

2. what width lace for the wrapping?

3. what width for the lacing?

Can anyone show me a closeup of the first few steps of the lacing? I've viewed 'Roo's wonderful video several times, and I still don't think I'm doing it right...

hi, i use 3mm roo lacing and the width of the bracelet was about 12mm. i used the same width lacing for the whole project. To start the lacing, come up through the hole from the back, go over three wrappings and back up under two, then down over three, crossing over the first down abit so when you go up two the next time you end up on the other side of the first down. now doesnt that sound like the worst instructions you've ever heard!

here is a drawing... the black lines are the wrapping lace, the red lines are going down over the wrapping, the green lines are going up under the wrapping lace.

untitled.JPG

hope this helps

good luck

post-4514-1220562971_thumb.jpg

Actually, that helps ALOT! Thanks so much :You_Rock_Emoticon:

Here's the one I did make. I used wider lace on the wrapping, and a nice 'roo lace on the lacing. The band is 1". This was the one I made just by watching the video. Now I'm going to try another...

002.JPG004.JPG

post-5639-1220572646_thumb.jpg

post-5639-1220572652_thumb.jpg

I started another one today, and the going has been much easier thanks to those last instructions. Thanks again! I'm hoping to make several of these for sale at the Radford University Highlanders Festival next month.