tyro1

Tool Suggestions - (Just Getting Starting) Please Advise

Hello, I have read dozens of posts here (excellent advice so far!) but am still a bit unsure how to proceed. I am just getting starting in leather working and plan on crafting

bracelets/cuffs, belts, and wallets. I have some basic understanding of the entire process but need some advice on tools.

I looked at some "kits" from Tandy Leather but am concerned with their quality. I have also read about Robert Beard and Barry King tools.

In general, I like to buy medium to higher end quality hand tools.

Any suggestions as to brand and retailers?

Thanks so much.

Edited by tyro1

Well, Robert Beard and Barry King are some of the best you can get. If you can get a Tandy kit on sale, it might be worth it just to get your foot in the door. Basically, have in mind what you want to start doing, get a good grasp on the processes involved, and expand out from there. For bracelets and belts, you'd need a strap cutter, rotary punch, snaps and setters, possibly chicago screws, buckles, neatsfoot oil, finishing dyes and clear coat, edging dye and slicker. Any metal straightedge and box cutter will suffice till you get something better, and a small scratch awl to mark things out. Start with a 10oz double shoulder and you'd have about a dozen or so belts and plenty of shorter strips for thick bracelets, dog collars, and whatnot. Bellies are also good for practice on small items, but don't have the strength for belts. If you want to stamp and decorate it, start collecting swivel knives and stamps - you'll never have enough. Research and books are your best friends at this point, but don't be afraid to dive right in.

Hello, I have read dozens of posts here (excellent advice so far!) but am still a bit unsure how to proceed. I am just getting starting in leather working and plan on crafting

bracelets/cuffs, belts, and wallets. I have some basic understanding of the entire process but need some advice on tools.

I looked at some "kits" from Tandy Leather but am concerned with their quality. I have also read about Robert Beard and Barry King tools.

In general, I like to buy medium to higher end quality hand tools.

Any suggestions as to brand and retailers?

Thanks so much.

I saw the 55510-00 Deluxe Kit on sale for $59.99 at the Tandy Leather Factory store in North Hollywood Ca location #140

This is is a great deal Reduced from $199.99

I believe they are on sale for a limited time.

Tandy Leather Factory North Hollywood # 140

818 787 9913