bwelch47az

Hi From Az

I came across your forum while looking up information on the Porter Saddle Co of Phoenix Az. I have a friend, Eddie Bacon, who is the last of the old masters trained by the old Porter Saddle Co. He is in his 80's and is currently retired but his son, Earl, is carrying on the saddle making tradition. The name of his shop is "Bacons Boots and Saddles" located in Globe Az. Eddie and Earl are perhaps the foremost authorities on Porter saddles.

Welcome to Leatherworker.net, we're glad you stopped in. It sounds like you have found a treasure trove of knowledge in your friends.

Welcome to the forum. What an awesome friendship you have there!

Welcome to the site from another Az leather worker.

Welcome bwelch47! Always glad to see another AZ leather worker. There is a wealth of information here and a few Porter enthusiasts as well. Here's a link to a "Porters" discussion from a couple of years ago.....Porters

Bobby

hidepounder,

I notice that live in Phoenix. If you ever go to Globe, you could probably talk with Earl. and he may introduce you to his father Eddie. They are a great family. During the 60's and 70's the interest in saddle making was waning. Eddie wondered of the craft would continue. Eddie is a master saddle maker of the old school. His pride does not come from the price his saddles bring today, but from an old cowboy who states that "The saddle you made for me was the best I ever owned!" Eddie has never made a "silver saddle." He considers them junk because the perpose of a saddle is to provide a cowboy a solid working seat on a horse. Eddie was referred by many of the old masters as the greatest. Many of them said that his plain work saddles were among the most beautiful saddles made. He leather carving ability was 2nd to none. If you look on the internet under the name of his business, "Bacons Boots and Saddles" you will see a photo of the front of his business.

Eddie began his career in making saddles when he was 13. He lived in Phoenix and was looking for a job sweeping floors. He approached the old Porter Saddle factory on S Central Ave just south of the RR tracks. He worked evenings and weekends learning the craft. Part of his training was to cut latigo straps, several thousand at a time. At the age of 24, they referred to him as a master which was the youngest age that was ever rewarded. The average age of a master craftsman achieving the honor was usually in their late 30's or early 40's.

Although I do not currently work with leather,I am amazed at the talent I see. Eddie would be proud to see the interest and growth in the craft of saddle making. Eddie advised the Circle Y saddle company in the establishment of their factory.

Enjoy your craftmanship in leather.

PS If your need restoration on your Porters, Eddie or his son,Earl, are the best you can find.

hidepounder,

PS If your need restoration on your Porters, Eddie or his son,Earl, are the best you can find.

Earl and I junior rodeo'd during the 60's. I have a lot of memories of Globe, the Bacons and an era which too few folks had the opportunity to experience. Ed and Earl are great craftsmen and I've known of their shop since I was a little boy.

I worked at N. Porters under Guy Reidhead while I was in high school and I worked several years for Wm N. Porters while in high school and college. Believe it or not, some of what I was exposed to actually stuck, LOL!!!! But if any of my Porter's need work, I'll be doing it myself.

Again, welcome to the forum...you'll love it here!!!!

Bobby

Earl and I junior rodeo'd during the 60's. I have a lot of memories of Globe, the Bacons and an era which too few folks had the opportunity to experience. Ed and Earl are great craftsmen and I've known of their shop since I was a little boy.

I worked at N. Porters under Guy Reidhead while I was in high school and I worked several years for Wm N. Porters while in high school and college. Believe it or not, some of what I was exposed to actually stuck, LOL!!!! But if any of my Porter's need work, I'll be doing it myself.

Bobby

Glad to hear that you know both Eddie and Earl. Earl and I have the same birthday. We used to make phone calls greeting each other with "happy Birthday." My dad used to work part-time with Eddie repairing saddles. I am glad that you had training at Porters. Their saddles are great. Eddie has my father's Porter which I need to get. I used to watch Eddie make saddles with awe.

Glad to hear that you know both Eddie and Earl.

Sorry...I didn't mean to be misleading....I remember Earl from our Junior rodeo days as kids, and I have always known of the family and the shop, but we aren't personally acquainted....wish we were. However I'm certainly acquainted with their work!!!! BTW...there's a good Utube video about them... Bacon Boots & Saddles

Bobby

Sorry...I didn't mean to be misleading....I remember Earl from our Junior rodeo days as kids, and I have always known of the family and the shop, but we aren't personally acquainted....wish we were. However I'm certainly acquainted with their work!!!! BTW...there's a good Utube video about them... Bacon Boots & Saddles

Bobby

I perceived from your response that it had been some time since you last saw Earl but I a glad that you received excellent training from Porters Their training program was second to none. I hope that you have taught others the trade. I have seen dozens of poorly made saddles in Eddie's shop. The joy I receive when viewing a well made saddle connot be descibed. Keep up the craft. Thank you for the referral.

Bobby

Globe reminds me of the Isa Smelter at Miami, jackhammering the brick out, with all that heat and full face respirators. But, I love the little Mexican cafe, called Chalos, I usually stay at the El Ray Motel or Motel 6 when I work at those shutdowns at the Smelter. This is where I met an old saddlemaker and his son. They had some old geometric stamps, no name on the shaft of the tool, so I don't know who made it. Nice place to visit, alot of history there.