flyingcuda

i need help for a knife sheath

a customer has asked me to try to make a knife sheath...i haven't made anything like that at all..just dog collars, belts, wrist bands and key fobs. is there a tutorial anywhere from start to finish, i am hours away from a tandy so books can't help me at the moment. if anyone can help me, i would be very very greatful! i'll keep searching through the many...many threads...great reading.. a lot of folks with a great sense of humor!

Sure, I can help,,, as I'm sure there are at least a dozen more that can. First,,, what kind of knife,,, fixed blade or folder. Do they want it moulded, tooled,,,ect. Here are a few examples of some I've made. Do any of these look like what they'd like?? Ed the"BearMan"

Boot_Daggar3.jpg

B29_Coco_Bola.jpg

Big_Bowie2.jpg

Knife_Case_again2.jpg

Ringtail_Lizard3.jpg

Dragon_knife_oak_case_best3.jpg

post-7175-1239724979_thumb.jpg

post-7175-1239724996_thumb.jpg

post-7175-1239725020_thumb.jpg

post-7175-1239725077_thumb.jpg

post-7175-1239725122_thumb.jpg

post-7175-1239725194_thumb.jpg

I think I've made a couple of knife sheaths....

well maybe a couple of thousand of 'em.

what sort of knife and what sort of sheath.

If you want, look at my website to get an idea on the concept.... from there I'll send you in the right direction.

i'm sorry for the lack of details :blush: i only have a drawing of the actaul knife..looks like maybe a buck knife...it is a fixed blade, the hilt is 13 1/2 inches, the blade is curved..so i'm not sure how you would measure it..approx 14 inches? and approx 4 inces wide at the widest part. i'm thinking the forth picture in BearMan's post would be close to what i would need. he wants a design...deer or moose carved in and then his name. i do not own an industrial machine..so the sewing would have to be done by hand...which i don't mind..kinda want to start doing that as well. thank you for the responses...i love this place!!! :You_Rock_Emoticon:

That assumes the knife has a guard (protrusion at the front of the handle to stop fingers from going forward on the blade)

if so, look again on my site at Construction... it's NOT a tutorial but it shows you all the pieces and how they inter relate... you should be able to figure it out from there....

If not... you know where to ask. :lol:

Try NORTHCOASTKNIVES.COM and go to the tutorials and look around, some good ones there on knives and sheaths.

Its funny you should ask that. My next door neighbor has just started making knives & has asked me to make him a sheath. Very simple pattern 4" blade & that damn knife has been setting on my work bench for almost a month & I have no idea of how to "get er done". I think it's the "plug" (I think it's called) and the placement of it thats got me confused.

He buys them from some outfit for $13 and I opened my mouth one day and tried to save him a couple of bucks and there she sits.

I've got to get on it. Maybe next week.

Various.JPG

Just a few examples of recent sheaths. As you can tell, its kinda up to you how they are made.

post-5535-1239754531_thumb.jpg

Here's a tutorial that will help some for a pouch style sheath Visit My Website.Not my site as the the software says but it should help.If you have any specific questions contact me and I can help you.Sheaths and holsters are my main work.Dave

I've made a few for hunters so dark leather is the order of the day plus no metal. If packing a larger knife they prefer it low on the hip with a thong to secure around the upper lag. This prevents it from getting half caught up in the jacket. No rivets. The back half of the sheath extends to the top of the hilt and a 1/4" wide leather collar is stitched just above the guard. I cut a slit on one side and feed the other side thro to prevent the knife from accidently falling out, like half a bleed knot. Deer can spot the tiniest bit of metal reflecting in the sun and vanish. I've also made a soft neck sheath with fringe to be worn around the neck. This is for a skinning knife which has only a 4" blade and small hilt.