AndyL1

Color Or Excess Oil Ruboff?

Hey All,

I recently made a bag for a friend of mine using the Stoned Oil hide from Tandy HERE

Now when she used the bag, some of the color rubbed off and stained her shirt. I tried duplicating the effect by rubbing the leather with a white t-shirt rag and sure enough I had some color transfer. It looked like I had a dirty rag in the end. Anyone out there ever experience this with this leather?

I really like the hide and want to use it more but I'd hate to be staining peoples clothes! Maybe some sort of sealer is needed? I'm also thinking maybe it's excess oil coming out of the hide and not really dye as the leather keeps its color after the rubbing.

Thanks in advance for any help,

Andy

Edited by AndyL1

Andy,

Rub off is called crocking and is painfully common with black leather. The only thing that seems to work is to rub a coat of Super Sheen into the leather when completed. Use a rag to rub it in. Don't apply a heavy coat because it is a clear lacquer and it will crack and peal if you put a thick coat on.

Dave

Rub off is called crocking and is painfully common with black leather. The only thing that seems to work is to rub a coat of Super Sheen into the leather when completed. it is a clear lacquer.

Dave

Dave: don't you mean Neatlac (or Clearlac)? Super Sheen is water-based acrylic, NOT lacquer.

russ

Edited by whinewine

Dave: don't you mean Neatlac (or Clearlac)? Super Sheen is water-based acrylic, NOT lacquer.

russ

Yes I do mean neat lac,

So sorry

Dave

Thanks for the replies. I didn't seal this leather up as it's already been dyed and oiled from the store. I didn't think it necessary. I don't want the leather to gain any sort of shine, would the Neatlac have a low-sheen to it?