LoyalNine

My First Fire Shield

I finished my first fire shield today. Working a 32hr per diem medic shift today in an area of the state that does not see much action between rafting and snowmobile seasons. Good news is I get to catch up on my sleep and I brought my leather stuff to work on. I am happy with it for my first try. It feels as though my tooling kind of didn't stay as embossed or deep as it initially looked. Or maybe the dye reduces to look? Either way I wanted a deeper look. I think I need a piece of granite next time and put a little more ummph into my impressions.

2 layers of leather cemented and saddle stitched with Maine Thread Co. thread I got in their bargain bin for 50 cents. The back is medium brown. Finished with acrylic resolene. I would like to say I saved money doing my own shield but I keep buying leather tools and accessories making this the most expensive piece of fire wacker gear I've ever had...

post-51908-0-14175000-1411434437_thumb.j

It looks great!! Job well done!

LoyalNine ....................

Looks like a fine job, especially for a first time attempt ! Nice work !

Looks good..don't worry about buying too many tools for one shield...you will end up making yourself a half dozen more shields..plus your buddies will want one too..keep it up..how did you get the texture look in the black ?