ct701996

Copper Rivet Domer

Does anybody here know how to make copper rivet domers, i guess you could just drill out the end of some stock but that wouldnt be very round, i like to make my own stuff so this would be something i could save 30 bucks on

you might be able to drill the end of some round stock and then use a dremel with the ball sander to round it out.

I made a doming tool by drilling a very shallow hole - more of a depression than a hole - in a round stock bar. The result was not perfectly round, but I find that by rotating it by a couple of degrees as I hammer the rivet, the result is a perfectly formed dome!

Rivet sets are fairly common, and you should be able to pick up a used on pretty cheap. I have seen them for a dollar, or two, at the flea markets.

If I was going to make one I would just use a ball endmill in the milling machine.

For a DIY at home, spot drill it, and use a round stone in a Dremel like Ramrod mentioned.

A sheetmetal rivet set will have a hole that will fit over the rivet shank so that you can set (compress) the layers by driving them together. Then the ball end of a ball peen hammer is used to start the mushrooming. Once you get towards the end you use the domed section of the rivet set to make it pretty.

thank you, i guess i never though of using the dremel

A lot of people take the largest setter, that was used for the caps of, I think, line 14 or 16 belt and glove snaps. I know that Ron Ross was using one, at one time anyway. They were in the old Tandy set all snaps sets. I hope this might help someone. Billy P

once i've set the rivet, snipped off the post and domed the remainder, i was able to use a small tack hammer to sort of "massage" the stub. in an al stohlman book, i seem to remember him making it square by tapping it with a hammer. this can be done quite easily as i found out.

i guess what i'm saying is: the domer doesn't have to be perfect because you can touch up the post with a small hammer.

Complete instructions for making domers are in the Stohlman book, "leather Tools" on page 80

post-13207-010313100 1302108280_thumb.jppost-13207-077853600 1302108269_thumb.jppost-13207-094012800 1302108258_thumb.jppost-13207-023612700 1302108250_thumb.jppost-13207-092478100 1302108241_thumb.jp post-13207-023547600 1302108233_thumb.jp I have a pretty good method that works. I dome the rivet before I use it. I have drilled an impression into my anvil, then I put the rivet head into it and slide something slightly larger than the rivet shaft to force the head down into the hole. Works great everytime. Edited by seveneves

I could tell you a way to make one with round stock, drill press and drill vise, cutting torch and a some quenching oil, but the easiest is call Bob Douglas Tools and for $20-$30 you can get a real nice one made of tool steel.

Andy Stevens