RawhideLeather

NEW DOT DURABLE SNAP FASTENER LOW SHELF STUD IN BLACK

Some leatherworkers (such as myself) want to attach the black Dot Durable Snap studs to their work using an 8-32 flat head screw instead of the normal post. This is normally used on items that are too thick for a post or on something that needs to be removeable. The problem is that the black stud they sell has a high shelf making the screw head sit a little over flush with the top of the stud causing the snap not to fit. Or they find that the post they sell isn't long enough for a permanent attachment in thicker leather. Until today the only options that I know of was to use a mis-matched stud in another finish or make it work with the regular high shelf stud they sell in black (yes, it can be done but it's not easy) or maybe make your own posts by improvising. Well, I called today and talked with Tonya (very nice lady). I found out they have a black low-shelf stud but just didn't have it on their website! Now they do. Hopefully this will solve those particular little problems. I ordered some today and will post my findings when they arrive. The website is: http://www.smartcart.com/scovill/catalog/

The black stud can be found under - Dot Durable: Studs/Brass

93-10379.gif Item# 93-BS-10379--1C

Richard

Thanks Richard!

Art

Well, here is the update I said I would do. I just tried them out today and a flat head 8-32 screw sits about 1/32" below the top surface of the male stud so no problems at all with the female socket not having room to snap shut because of the screw head - works/looks great! I can also use the 1/4" posts on these low-shelf sockets with 10 oz. leather and still get a good set too. I normally dampen the flesh side though so the leather compresses a little otherwise the post probably wouldn't be long enough for a secure set. I like to do the same with the female socket as well because I think it looks better and makes the whole snap more compact if that makes any sense. Hope this helps.

L'Bum - It's pretty simple really, I just use a flat head 8-32 machine screw and an 8-32 T-nut or the female Chicago screw part for the opposite side depending on the application. I prefer the black oxide or maybe even the black oxide over stainless for the screws - but the latter may be a little overkill. Good luck!

Richard