Tree Reaper

Leather Knife Handle

Anyone have any ideas for covering this knife handle completely in leather?

I could wrap it but I see the round end of the handle being a problem.

Maybe some kind of braid?

post-19342-027532600 1316489084_thumb.jp

You could do it with veg tan to basically build a 'sheath' for the handle.....while the handle is still in it. It'd take some stretching, some molding, some cursing, and a beer or two, but you could do it and just lace up one side of it....maybe use the closure to cover the end?

IMO, braiding a wrap for it would look a LOT better and possibly be more durable. Something along the lines of a 6 or 8 plait braid would cover it quite well, and conform to the slightly irregular shape of the handle. For the end.......terminal turk's head, or a pineapple?

Another way would be to make a handle wrap like the one you would do on a sword. I have posted some pictures on another forum that might be of some help. Remember that the leather would have to be quite thin and the glued to the grip as well as wet formed.

http://histvarld.historiska.se/histvarld/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=4479

Thanks for the ideas, I like what you've done Edvin but the round end on the handle creates a problem on this project.

I'll check my braiding book Mike for the two you mentioned, that would serve the purpose and look good too.

Kevin.

Using a Peter Main technique that I found in one of Tandy's books, I made this one using some Elephant skivings and natural calf lace scraps. I believe Peter makes his using edging trim scraps, but I wanted to do something different. It came out a bit spongy, but for my first time I am very happy.

post-6330-099523400 1316529997_thumb.jpg

What about something similar to the sheath in this thread?

http://leatherworker.net/forum/index.php?showtopic=33393&view=findpost&p=207387

I think you might also pick the user Knothead's (Brian's) brains. He does a lot of fid work and covers handles with various braids, many of which are round-ends.

Thanks for the ideas, what braid would this be?

This is what I had in mind.

post-19342-056806800 1316549651_thumb.jp

Troy called it an extended pineapple, but I would ask him and the other knotters and braiders. Maybe ask them how they finish and wrap the butt of a whip? Or the decorative knots they put on their knifes, fids, marlin spikes, and walking sticks?

I'm afraid I have no idea how to make a pineapple, and the instructions are way over my head still. All I can manage is simple Turk's heads, and haven't figured out how to extend them. The pineapples are a whole 'nother layer of complexity I haven't even begun to attempt yet.

You may end up starting at the round end, and working towards the blade finishing with a Turk's head.

For a solid type, you could mold both halves,trim, and use a baseball stitch to sew it up .

That pineapple looks like a nasty bit of braid for someone who has no experience with braiding.

you could mold both halves,trim, and use a baseball stitch to sew it up .

I think I might now be considering something like this .

A braid may be a problem due to part of the knife handle entering the leather knife case.

Thanks for the help.

Kevin.