pete

poll question re: leather weight

Saddle and holster makers aside-

If you were to purchase a side or dbl shoulder for your shop and had no immediate projects in mind(but plenty of 2-4 oz lining material) what would you invest in?

I never know if I am going to make a wallet, belt, album, sprur straps, etc.

pete

Pete,

I buy more 7/8 oz leather than anything. I use it for belts, saddle bags, organizers, rope bags, headstalls and a variety of other things. Sometimes I need to split it down and sometimes I use more than one piece back to back. But in general it is my handiest size to have on hand.

Hope this helps....

Bobby

Well, I can't be "aside", so most of the double shoulders I buy are 50/50 6-7oz and 7-8oz. Now forgetting that I ever made a holster, 6oz is kind of a universal type thing and maybe on the 5-6oz side of that. If you have a splitter then you can make whatever out of a 7-8oz hide (small stuff). If you can't make up your mind, call Springfield leather and get them to cut you what you want. Sure it costs a little more, but until you know what you need, getting some of this and some of that in small sizes is way less painful than buying some of this and some of that in sides or shoulders. When they cut leather, you also get a pretty much blemish free piece.

Art

Saddle and holster makers aside-

If you were to purchase a side or dbl shoulder for your shop and had no immediate projects in mind(but plenty of 2-4 oz lining material) what would you invest in?

I never know if I am going to make a wallet, belt, album, sprur straps, etc.

pete

thank you both so much. I'm off to Springfield Wed. and 7/8 was what I had in mind.

pete

thanks for the warning pete! I'll get the folks to get the leather priced with the special "Pete Prices"..... :)

Kevin

Don't know if I'm too late to "chip in" with my .02, but I almost always buy 4/5. The only time I buy thinner is if I can get a good deal and want to make some more leather roses. I haven't bought heavier for quite some time, but I do have some scraps that are thicker, even some shoe sole weight.

If you've got a decent splitter, just buy the heaviest weight you will need, then split it down for smaller/lighter projects.

Kate

If you've got a decent splitter, just buy the heaviest weight you will need, then split it down for smaller/lighter projects.

Kate

Wish I could afford a decent splitter! That's a luxury toy that isn't in the budget just yet. Some day....