JP1

Teaching Dvds Leatherworks

I was looking for input on instructional teaching DVDs for flower carving, basic to intermediate leather working skills, and belt making DVDs. If anyone has had any exposure to good DVD resources in regards to these subjects please give your recommendations and what you liked about it. Thanks.

I was looking for input on instructional teaching DVDs for flower carving, basic to intermediate leather working skills, and belt making DVDs. If anyone has had any exposure to good DVD resources in regards to these subjects please give your recommendations and what you liked about it. Thanks.

Hi, JP1

Although I haven't tried them yet, it nevertheless might be well worth to check with HideCrafter's website. Look on that left side on *Shop by Category* under 'Educational' the Sub-Title "DVD's" and there further under "Technique".

Scrolling there, you should find a number of DVD's which author was George Hurst and there are also two further ones of Shirley Peterson as an author. I haven't tried them myself yet, but according to Leather Crafters & Saddlers' Journal issues they are of high educational value.

I hope that others my chime in that have more and real practical experience with these mentioned DVD's but hope I could be of some "First Aid".

Enjoy a blessed and merry Christmas.

Mark, the leatherthresher.

Hi JP1,

I have several of the DVDs from Hidecrafter's. most are very well made and full of useful information. When you say "flower carving" do you mean western floral carving or realistic looking flowers? both are covered but on different DVDs. I haven't checked to see if they still offer a deal if you buy several at once. They did when i bought mine. If i remember correctly, I bought 21 at once, which brought the per DVD price down pretty low. I like mine well enough that i'm not willing to part with them yet. But if you tell me a little bit more of what you are looking for I would be glad to offer advice about which DVDs to get.

Also the Tandy website now has some short video clips that you can view for free. They cover many of the basic construction techniques.

hope this helps some,

ken

I went to this website to look at their DVD's and they do have quite a few. I ordered one and was SHOCKED at the $15.00 shipping charge. This is just for your info so you don't feel as shocked as I was.

When I say floral carving I am mainly interested in western floral type patterns, I also do like some of the sheridan style floweres as well, but at this time I am starting out and mainly trying to just conquer western florals to begin with. Thanks.

I just started the Leatherworking University videos at www.smartflix.com Pretty good so far.

Here's a link to check out:

http://smartflix.com/store/video/6304/Leatherworking-University

Hope this helps.

Bobby

ok here are a few of the DVDs that i would suggest based on what you have asked for.

For western floral carving: The Basics of Leathercraft with George Hurst (this contains basic floral carving along with introductions to basket stamping, dyeing and finishing, lacing and stitching. a very good beginner's DVD)

Traditional Western Leather Carving with George Hurst

Classic Western Leather Carving with Robert Beard (very good but a little more advanced)

Learn Sheridan Style Leather Carving with Chan Geer (very good clear instruction for basic Sheridan style)

also: Carving Oak Leaves by George Hurst

For belt instruction: Basic Leather Carving and Construction with Rene Berends (in this DVD he teaches how to make a belt bag and belt, both carved with a Celtic pattern. He teaches step by step and the info is very good)

i'm not sure if all of these can be purchased from Hidecrafters. if you feel you would be interested in the other titles they offer, it's better to order in bulk for the bigger discount.

ken

thanks for the helpful suggestions.