Sign in to follow this  

So my wife has been doing some floral type tooling in some scrap pieces of leather, it's looking pretty good. Her (our) problem is when it comes time to antique it. Shes tried various methods and none have seemed to work right.

Is there a tutorial somewhere on how to do this properly, keeing the recessed areas dark and the raised areas lighter?

Thank you

I watched the video on Tandy's site to get a grasp on the technique. I have to get eveything like I want it, and block the finished parts to get a good antique. I also found I was being too stingy with the antiquing gel. You have to use enough to keep the piece wet until you are ready to wipe it off.

I can't speak to the Tandy method, I just know I don't care for the Eco products. For me it is the old time practice of using Fiebings Antique Paste and Clearlac. After tooling and drying, rub a thin coat of Clearlac over the entire piece. I will usually follow up with a second coat after the first has dried. After this has dryed, rub the antique paste over the entire piece and then wipe it off, preferably with a piece of sheep's wool. Your back ground areas and cuts will retain some of the paste, giving the effect you want.. This method has been around for a long time, and there are some videos on U Tube demonstrating this method.

Hope this helps,

Terry

Edited by terrymac

How long do you folks like to leave the antique paste on there before wiping it off?

Immediately. As soon as you wipe on, wipe it off.

Terry

Kev, if you're using the gel there are a couple ways to do it, you can add water to get a more dye job on the leather then wife off with a damp sponge. You can then add the gel and wipe off with a damp sponge to really get the antique look. I like to do this to keep any streaking down.I have a bottle of thinned gel with water and a normal bottle.

Edited by Reaves Leather

I get the best results by antique-ing and then wiping it immediately with a PAPER TOWEL. Wipe horizontally and then vertically.

It takes the "big" gobs of antique off.

THEN- LIGHTLY buff with sheep scrap. Then- buff hard with paper towel.

By using the sheep scrap to take it off immediately, it takes way too much off for me. I want it to stay in the cuts. The scrap "after" picks up the "little" gobs that stay in places like the under-cuts if I LIGHTLY buff it until I'm happy.

pete

Thank you for the feedback. I'll order her some Fiebings Paste this weekend.