Sign in to follow this  
GrampaJoel

Campbells Keystone Splitter & Skiver

Campbells Keystone Splitter & Skive

Well three weeks and $600.00+ later my new splitter came in.

It is Just what I thought it would be, but somewhat smaller. I guess I expected it to be larger for some reason.

This is what I bought.
BM-KEY-L.jpg?osCsid=qlisamqra46ck1c4igccto20u1

Now can someone help me out with the fine points of it's use.

1. what do the numbers next to the twist handle represent? The numbers run from 1-7.

2. what is the purpose of the little brass bar being able to move?

3. any tips as to working with this tool would be much appreciated.

I did ask this question at another forum, but I thought I'd ask here too.

Thanks

Joel

Nice splitter (new and made in the USA)..

You think if you paid $600+ that Cambell Randall would at least give you some instructions on how it works. I think the numbers on the side just provides you a reference point of paticulare settings that you may want to return too. You may want to speak with Dan at Cambell Randall. He should be able to describe in detail. Sorry not much help.

i've always found them to be very willing to talk to me even when I haven't bought anything. I'm thinking about getting one of those splitters, too. Chris Tornow

kc8290

Nice splitter (new and made in the USA)..

You think if you paid $600+ that Cambell Randall would at least give you some instructions on how it works. I think the numbers on the side just provides you a reference point of paticulare settings that you may want to return too. You may want to speak with Dan at Cambell Randall. He should be able to describe in detail. Sorry not much help.

Actually, I paid $545.00 for the splitter. The rest was taxes and shipping. Yes it does say Made in USA on it. The blade is pretty sharp right from the get go.

I like it, I just want to learn how to master it.

I don't know what the brass bars intended use is, but it holds the leather down so you don't just cut it and helps keep fingers out of harms way. A lady I work with bought one and it is nice.

Kevin

I've found that the brass bar when engaged is in the way when you want to position leather for a cut at a certain point.

So my guess would be that it swings away to allow you to place the leather with more precision. At least that is what I have been doing.

I think the most surprising thing about this leather splitter is that no one has updated the design of it. For instance, it could be machined instead of being cast and have a much smoother operation.

Oh well it's all mine now, and I have been cutting a lot of leather with it. :yes: