Sign in to follow this  
emr454

Advice For 1St Belt Project

I've been thinking of making a leather belt for my wife. She just recently got her pistol permit so It's going to be a sturdy gun belt for supporting a holster. I might be limited to 1.25" width because women's jeans typically have smaller belt loops.

Would it be feasible to buy a couple belt blanks and make a double-layer belt? I've never worked with any belt blanks before so I'm unsure of their quality and so forth. This will be done with a minimum of tools as well, so that's why I was considering belt blanks.

Any ideas are appreciated!

Eric

Eric, . . .

You probably will not like the finished product, . . . as traditionally belt blanks generally run 8 oz. Doubling that makes a very stiff belt that is a full 1/4 inch thick.

I'm wearing one right now, . . . but only because it carries my full size all steel 1911 for me.

You want, for a woman, especially if it is going to be for 1 1/4 belt, . . . to be down in the .140 to .180 range for her doubled belt, . . . and a lot of ladies don't like it that thick.

May God bless,

Dwight

My wife agrees with Dwight...full size gun belt was too much for her comfort...i went with a single layer, 10 oz belt blank and slicked the inside real well with gum trag before sealing it with angelus 600...she loves it..says it comfy enough for every day wear, and just stiff enough to support a gun, but she doesnt carry every day...i know it wont last forever like a good double layer gun belt, but its really not so expensive or time consuming that i cant make her one every few years or so...springfield leather will skive down their belt blanks to whatever you need, even have the ones with the snaps and slots already done if you want..