David

Here is one for Donny Loos at Sucker Punch

This "in progress" seat will be a different. There is no tooling on the front. The black suede split will be surrounded by black leather....All black veggie leather will be Neat Lac'ed to make it glossy and contrast with the suede insert. Should be pretty classy looking.

Dave Theobald

IMG_0961.JPG

IMG_0962.JPG

IMG_0963.JPG

post-5652-1201919301_thumb.jpg

post-5652-1201919311_thumb.jpg

post-5652-1201919321_thumb.jpg

David, you have three rings of lacing..... the middle one confuses me terribly. that looks very much like an edge braid, not a seam braid... I know you cant take this seat apart to show me steps you took to construct it, but will you PLEASE take pix the next time you make a seat like this with the three braids and the middle LOOKS like it is an edge braid? Pix help me "see" what you are doing so much more than you trying to explain it with words, but words and pix are even better....

Great looking seat.... very "classy" looking.

David, you have three rings of lacing..... the middle one confuses me terribly. that looks very much like an edge braid, not a seam braid... I know you cant take this seat apart to show me steps you took to construct it, but will you PLEASE take pix the next time you make a seat like this with the three braids and the middle LOOKS like it is an edge braid? Pix help me "see" what you are doing so much more than you trying to explain it with words, but words and pix are even better....

Great looking seat.... very "classy" looking.

Hey Wolf,

The inner lacing is a flat lacing pattern to hold down the exposed edge of the suede split. It is narrow black 1/8" lace from Tandy.

The next one also black is 1/8" lacing from Tandy in a single loop pattern is purely decorative.

The natural color lace is 1/4" kangaroo from Jim Downey...this is a structural lacing pattern in Mexican Basketweave or Round Braid. It actually holds the seat together.

Hope that helps.

Dave Theobald

Edit.JPG

ok, what we have is

A: Lace going through the suede on one side (on the inner) and going through the top most veg tan, the suede (?) and then the bottom vegtan.

B: This is just a piece of vegtan that is used as a decorative piece and is more or less just a flap, if you wanted you could put your finger under and run it around all the way around the entire seat? Under this vegtan is the continuation of the suede?

C: Is the edge lacing of the vegtan flap and the continuation of the suede?

D: is the basketweave that holds the top to the bottom...

Is this correct? If you do continue the suede from A to C why? Why not stop it it A?

It is hard for MY mind to go any farther that what I see in a two dimensional picture. One reason it is hard for me to learn from anything but hands on.... second reason being I have such a hard time communicating my thoughts so others can understand them enough to give me the direction I am seeking.

post-834-1201922796_thumb.jpg

Edit.JPG

ok, what we have is

A: Lace going through the suede on one side (on the inner) and going through the top most veg tan, the suede (?) and then the bottom vegtan.

B: This is just a piece of vegtan that is used as a decorative piece and is more or less just a flap, if you wanted you could put your finger under and run it around all the way around the entire seat? Under this vegtan is the continuation of the suede?

C: Is the edge lacing of the vegtan flap and the continuation of the suede?

D: is the basketweave that holds the top to the bottom...

Is this correct? If you do continue the suede from A to C why? Why not stop it it A?

It is hard for MY mind to go any farther that what I see in a two dimensional picture. One reason it is hard for me to learn from anything but hands on.... second reason being I have such a hard time communicating my thoughts so others can understand them enough to give me the direction I am seeking.

Ok Wolfie I see where you are getting confused....There are three pieces to this seat.....The suede applique, the seat top and the seat back.

The suede is an applique....it is glued to a recessed area (beaten down with a beveler and matting tool) on the seat top B. Lacing A just holds the suede to the seat top B. Lacing C is also on the seat top B. It is just decoration. Lacing D fastens the seat top B to the seat back which you can't see in this picture.

Here is a seat back with the same kind of decorative lacing C. Sorry I didn't take pics of this. It is done the same way on all my seats with decorative lacing.

Hope this helps.

Dave

IMG_0670.JPG

IMG_0699.JPG

post-5652-1201953623_thumb.jpg

post-5652-1201953645_thumb.jpg

Edited by David

This "in progress" seat will be a different. There is no tooling on the front. The black suede split will be surrounded by black leather....All black veggie leather will be Neat Lac'ed to make it glossy and contrast with the suede insert. Should be pretty classy looking.

Dave Theobald

Dave,

That seat is already classy looking! Very nice indeed :red_bandana:

Please post more pix when it is complete.

Regards,

Nick

So there are two sets of holes at C but because the way you laid the lacing, you cannot see the second set, and it looks like it is an edge braid, tho it is only a top braid.

I see and understand now.

Thank you David for the explanation.

Here is the finished product on the Black/Black seat for Donny Loos.

It should make for a pretty classy looking ride.

Dave Theobald

IMG_0964.JPG

IMG_0965.JPG

post-5652-1202072073_thumb.jpg

post-5652-1202072084_thumb.jpg

Edited by David

Slick. That is very slick. I am always in awe of your lacing. Thanks for showing it off.

KK

Here is the finished product on the Black/Black seat for Donny Loos.

It should make for a pretty classy looking ride.

Dave Theobald

that is really a nicely done seat David - deceptively simple looking - looks tight, really nice technical lacing

i was surprised though that you dye after assembly...

...could you have put a gel pad in the seat center and made the appliqués area semi-functional?

that is really a nicely done seat David - deceptively simple looking - looks tight, really nice technical lacingi was surprised though that you dye after assembly......could you have put a gel pad in the seat center and made the appliqués area semi-functional?
SteveWhen you build a seat with this dry lacing technique, there is about zero tolerance for shrinkage. And this leather will shrink, It is the way most seat builders work. As a matter of fact now that I look back....I don't dye anything before assembling. I know is seems strange especially if you build cars or motorcycles....but that's the way it goes.DaveWhen you build a seat with this dry lacing technique, there is about zero tolerance for shrinkage. And this leather will shrink, It is the way most seat builders work. As a matter of fact now that I look back....I don't dye anything before assembling. I know is seems strange especially if you build cars or motorcycles....but that's the way it goes. Not sure about the gel thing....they are a pretty pricey option on a seat that is already over $400. I don't think it would work too well you would still have to back the suede with something it is too thin to stand on its own, it needs to be adhered to something.Dave

SteveWhen you build a seat with this dry lacing technique, there is about zero tolerance for shrinkage. And this leather will shrink, It is the way most seat builders work. As a matter of fact now that I look back....I don't dye anything before assembling. I know is seems strange especially if you build cars or motorcycles....but that's the way it goes.DaveWhen you build a seat with this dry lacing technique, there is about zero tolerance for shrinkage. And this leather will shrink, It is the way most seat builders work. As a matter of fact now that I look back....I don't dye anything before assembling. I know is seems strange especially if you build cars or motorcycles....but that's the way it goes. Not sure about the gel thing....they are a pretty pricey option on a seat that is already over $400. I don't think it would work too well you would still have to back the suede with something it is too thin to stand on its own, it needs to be adhered to something.Dave

Man, I am so blown away by this stuff. So beautiful and perfect looking. I've also never sat on a seat like this; wouldn't you feel that lacing around the suede or does it sit very flat?

You always amaze me with your seats and all the love that goes into them.

Man, I am so blown away by this stuff. So beautiful and perfect looking. I've also never sat on a seat like this; wouldn't you feel that lacing around the suede or does it sit very flat?
Sorry for missing this post, "can you feel the lacing?" No this if flat cut lacing and lays very flat. If I use single loop, I put it very close to the edge where you don't actually sit on it.David Theobaldhttp://theobaldleather.com
You always amaze me with your seats and all the love that goes into them.
Thanks spider,The encouragement is always welcome.David Theobaldhttp://theobaldleather.com

Thanks for the good explanations David, I'm just suckin it all in and adding to the thinktank!

You're always so good with having pics to show your stuff aswell.

Tom

Dave Theobald

Hi Dave...you're right, that is a classy looking seat...I saw the pic's of the finished product, and I also saw a picture of a "just started seat and was wondering what you use to punch all the holes for lacing...I have a hand rotary punch, but I'm thinking that has to be pretty hard and slow.

Phil

Hi Dave...you're right, that is a classy looking seat...I saw the pic's of the finished product, and I also saw a picture of a "just started seat and was wondering what you use to punch all the holes for lacing...I have a hand rotary punch, but I'm thinking that has to be pretty hard and slow.

Phil

Hey Phil,

Thanks for looking at this oldie, I use a 1/8" straight punch available from Tandy....takes about 45min to lay out and punch all 200 holes in the front and back.

a bit longer when there are the additional holes for decorative lace.

Dave Theobald

Hey Phil,

Thanks for looking at this oldie, I use a 1/8" straight punch available from Tandy....takes about 45min to lay out and punch all 200 holes in the front and back.

a bit longer when there are the additional holes for decorative lace.

Dave Theobald

Dave ...Thanks for your quick reply...I haven't been a member very long, and I'm impressed with the work I see and the friendly help...I haven't been doing much with carving, but I've been doing upholstery work for several years...I decided to re-build and re-upholster my personal motorcycle seat as a first try in leather...since then I've re-padded, re-build and re-upholstered several (mostly for touring bikes)...now that I've seen your work, it's got me thinking about a new seat for my bike again (this time carved)...I'm attaching a picture of the seat I have on my bike now...all leather except for the passenger backrest which is factory stock...Thanks again for the info.

Phil

P.S. also attaching a pic of a maul I made

1555_2.jpg

1556_2.jpg

post-6500-1209943311_thumb.jpg

post-6500-1209943320_thumb.jpg

Dave ...Thanks for your quick reply...I haven't been a member very long, and I'm impressed with the work I see and the friendly help...I haven't been doing much with carving, but I've been doing upholstery work for several years...I decided to re-build and re-upholster my personal motorcycle seat as a first try in leather...since then I've re-padded, re-build and re-upholstered several (mostly for touring bikes)...now that I've seen your work, it's got me thinking about a new seat for my bike again (this time carved)...I'm attaching a picture of the seat I have on my bike now...all leather except for the passenger backrest which is factory stock...Thanks again for the info.

Phil

P.S. also attaching a pic of a maul I made

Nice looking work Phil, That is going to be a serious challenge to make a seat for that bike. Post some pics as you work your way through the job.

Thanks again,

Dave Theobald