Haven't posted anything in a while, so I thought I'd throw up some pics of this paddle holster I made recently. I got an order from an investigator with the highway patrol for a paddle holster. I made it and he went away happy with it. Well, he called back after the weekend and was a little concerned about the retention. He felt like the leather paddle needed a "hook" or something on it to keep it from coming out of his pants so easily. He also wanted me to add a thumb break. I told him to bring it back to me and I would take care of him. I wound up cutting the thing apart and redesigning it from scratch. First I ordered a couple of paddle units from Blackhawk (what he currently carried) and then remade the outer holster with tee-nuts through the stiffener on the back side. The photos included are what I came up with. I've got to say, it is very comfortable and it is a bear to get out of your pants...

First Version...

post-43527-0-14228500-1396014035_thumb.j post-43527-0-45133900-1396014054_thumb.j

Second Version made for the investigator with collar brass and thumb strap...

post-43527-0-34038000-1396014100_thumb.j

Second Version made to have on hand for display (without a thumb break)...

post-43527-0-33284800-1396014114_thumb.j post-43527-0-29868300-1396014117_thumb.j

Cops - go figger :) He wants a paddle - what .. so it's easy to get on and off the belt. Then wants something so it don't come off so easy :rofl:

Cops - go figger :) He wants a paddle - what .. so it's easy to get on and off the belt. Then wants something so it don't come off so easy :rofl:

I know :)...but I have to say, I really like it. It's still probably a little easier than taking your belt partially off, but you have to wrestle with it a little. Because of the wide platform, it's very comfortable. Plus, as a leatherworker, these paddles are around $15 each. If you figure materials and time to hand stitch a leather one, it's probably half the price.

Yep, I know the routine. Dont take it personal if I say for just a minute I was glad I wasn't the only one who catches that type of thing!

Red Cent will be here in a minute to say "Customer always right" :)

Shhhhhhh,...........don't believe it.

Three biggest lies:

The check is in the mail,...........

I'm from the government and I'm here to help,..............

The customer is always right,...........

Oh, . . . and good job, . . . on all of them.

May God bless,

Dwight

I've done a couple paddles and used pre made paddles by Uncle Mikes. Mine were around $10 each if you ordered four. Got them from Rob, but not sure if he still carries the one like I have. I might make a leather paddle for a personal holster. Mainly because I'll only use it in the car when I need to take it off where I arrive anyway. Or cannibalize one of my SERPA holsters around here.

And nice work!

I prefer saying the customer is sometimes right. lol But given where a lot of your jobs come from, I would eat the cost to buy the positive word of mouth too.

Edited by chiefjason

Good work on the holsters. The customer is always right, especially when you can guide him to make the right decision!

Jack ----would it be possible to see a back view of the holster with the thumb break?

Trying to see how it is double layered to get the stiffener in there.

Or could the stiffener be visible?

cleanview - I don't have another one like it right now. That has been the only one I have made. All the other troopers have wanted pancake holsters. Not really sure if I understand the question...On the front, the stiffener is 2 layers of leather. the inner layer (which has the thumb break) is skived down as it reaches the mid point of the bend. The outer layer wraps all the way around like a normal stiffener. The outer also has a round cutout on the front to protect the collar brass attached to the inner layer. Hope this helps...if not, let me know.

Jack

I've made quite a few paddle holsters. In fact,they're one of my most popular models. My thoughts, for what they are worth....

-- Paddle holsters are best for small, lightweight guns, like, PPKs, J-frames, P938s, etc.

-- Ultimately, it's not the paddle that supports the gun, but the waistband.

-- My paddles are made out of kydex covered in leather. While the kydex backbone provides stiffness, the leather "ears" are flexible enough that they conform to the hips and keep the holster from sliding out of the waistband.

-- Properly made, a paddle holster for a lightweight gun does not require a belt for support, but it does require a decent waistand.

-- Within the pantheon of concealment holsters, paddles are the ultimate in convenience.

tk

post-21933-0-56166400-1417317692_thumb.p

post-21933-0-74084200-1417317718_thumb.p

post-21933-0-59932500-1417317782_thumb.p

post-21933-0-53172700-1417317802_thumb.p

Nice!

You wouldn't happen to have photos of the backsides would you?

I've made quite a few paddle holsters. In fact,they're one of my most popular models. My thoughts, for what they are worth....

-- Paddle holsters are best for small, lightweight guns, like, PPKs, J-frames, P938s, etc.

-- Ultimately, it's not the paddle that supports the gun, but the waistband.

-- My paddles are made out of kydex covered in leather. While the kydex backbone provides stiffness, the leather "ears" are flexible enough that they conform to the hips and keep the holster from sliding out of the waistband.

-- Properly made, a paddle holster for a lightweight gun does not require a belt for support, but it does require a decent waistand.

-- Within the pantheon of concealment holsters, paddles are the ultimate in convenience.

tk

Nice work

Does anyone know where to get just the paddles? Well, let me be a leeeetle more specific.

I can find Blade-tech, G-Force, and Blackhawk, but I am trying to find smaller, narrower paddles like Fobus uses for their mag carriers. I couldn't find any Uncle Mike's at all.

I think you'll find that the ones that you make are better quality. I make mine from leather with a kydex backbone, but you could make the whole thing out of kydex if you prefer.

The real trick is in the way that you attach the paddle to the holster.