Sign in to follow this  
IngleGunLeather

Template Source For Bike Gear

Anyone have any sources on where I can get templates for tool rolls and swing arm bags?

walmart, leatherup.com, amazon, etc....

Just find the cheapest one you can, tear it apart and use it as a template, then reuse the hardware if it's any good at all.

Tool rolls aren't really all that complicated - just roll up a piece of leather and put a gusset on each end with flaps to lay over the inside.

There's a good tutorial here to show how to make a saddle bag. A couple of them actually. They're right at the top of this section of the forum. "

http://leatherworker.net/forum/index.php?showtopic=39818

http://leatherworker.net/forum/index.php?showtopic=2161

Thanks Cyberthrasher. Was kinda thinking about that, but wanted to go that route as a last resort.

For the bags i would get the motorcycle you want them to fit and make a pattern for that bike. IMO their not a one size fits all / most. The tool bags you can get away with on one size fits all / most.

Yeah, the only thing to keep an eye on with the tool bags is fork width and where they'd like it to mount. A solo saddle bag really should be made to fit the bike it's going on. Frame shape and sizes differ across the board and you want to make sure it's free of any obstructions from the clutch pack or any passenger pegs, plus who knows what else has been put on the bike in that area such as the latest doo-dad or even side mount license plates/tail lights. You'll also need to know if it's right or left hand drive and if it's going to clear any pipes, etc....

And just as important, make sure it is going on a softtail swing arm and not a hardtailed bike. One for a hardtail should have more attention paid to how it mounts as a hardtail transmits more vibration and jolting than does a suspended swing arm.

And just as important, make sure it is going on a softtail swing arm and not a hardtailed bike. One for a hardtail should have more attention paid to how it mounts as a hardtail transmits more vibration and jolting than does a suspended swing arm.

When he said it was for a swingarm bag, I assumed softail swingarm, since a hardtail doesn't have a swingarm and good old swingarm frame with shocks in your face doesn't have any real place to mount a bag like that.

Yup. I am in fact wanting to do a swingarm bag. No one has one ordered. I have a bagger but I would like to be able to make one for display. Will keep any eye out for some examples next time I hit up a swap meet. Thanks again.

Edited by CountryTrash

I have a bagger but I would like to be able to make one for display. Will keep any eye out for some examples next time I hit up a swap meet. Thanks again.

I'd just pull your bags off and make up a template like Chancey's to fit the space on yours, just to have something to go off that will likely work for someone else as well.

Be sure to go through the first couple pages of this pretty well. You'll see it all mounted up on the second page there.

http://leatherworker.net/forum/index.php?showtopic=39818

I just draw up a rough sketch of what I want to make,then build it in sections with cardboard and when I got it right with the cardboard I transfer it to the leather then just cut out and stitch or lace/braid..

thats what I did with these,

post-22861-0-08039200-1359734007_thumb.jSaddle bags/tool roll for honda shadow.

post-22861-0-27570800-1359734049_thumb.j vintage style despatch bag made for military style bobber.

The good thing doing it this way is you do not make mistakes on the leather just on the cardboard.

Hope this helps...

JJ

Edited by shadowryder