CustomDoug

Tools For Cutting Copper Rivet Posts

What are you guys using for cutting down the length of copper rivet posts before setting them with a hammer? I've been using a relatively small set of nipping pliers. But it's always been a struggle at best, and I haven't done many at all. Will mostly be using #12 rivets. I'll be going to Harbor Freight at some point this week - would they have something that would work?

Edited by CustomDoug

Regular diagonal cutters work. The end nippers work nice too! Get longer handles if they are giving you problems with #12.

Tom

It's just copper ... a wire cutter will do it.

End nippers are what i use. I put the cutters down against the burr and it cuts at just about the right height. They are about 6- 10.00 depending on where you get them Harbor freight does have them. Mine are from home depot. One trick I learned is not to cut them in one cut. I take a partial cut then rotate the nipper around the rivet and take another partial cut rotate again a little and cut through. Only take a few extra seconds. It setsw it up so that it will peen nicely and the stub will be ncely rounded.

I use a large set of end cutters as well, snips them off leaving a small amount above the washer, just the right amount to peen down and dome for good looking rivets. I use the No 9 Rivets and I haven't been able to cut them with diagonal cutters, I bought my end cutter at Lowes in the tool area. Get the longest ones, mine are about 14" long.

Chief

... One trick I learned is not to cut them in one cut. I take a partial cut then rotate the nipper around the rivet and take another partial cut rotate again a little and cut through. Only take a few extra seconds. It setsw it up so that it will peen nicely and the stub will be ncely rounded.

That's a good tip, thanks.

OK, I'd been using end nippers but I guess they are just too short handled for the #12s.. I'll see if I can find a pair with a particularly long handle - 'cause I like the idea of not having to guess where along the stud to make the cut. I suppose hardened steel or some kind of hardening process is important too (assuming they're not all done this way now)? Heck.. I'll get a set of the side cutters too, probably dirt cheap at HF. Thanks for the input guys.

I use an old pair of hoof nippers that are too dull for the horses. Talk to someone who has horses, and you can probably get a pair of old hoof nippers given to you. And, they work great.

Buy the length you need and that problem is solved.

Knipex nail nippers! You get them from the farrier supplies store! They hammer through the #9 like nothing!