nractive

Novice Asks, "which Weight For Tooling?"

I'm a novice at leaherwork, carving and tooling, having made a few wallets, belts, and such for myself and family. My grandson has asked me to make him a custom wallet with something "cool" on it. At age 12, I know he wouldn't want want a bulky wallet, he want's something rather thin. So, I'm thinking of something simple, stitched rather than laced, so that it will fold and be rather flat. Which weight leather would be a good ballance between weight (thickness) and strength and wearability? I want a quality leather that will last, but something that will also carve and tool. I know I have to be careful carving thin leather. What are recommendations? Also, where could I buy just enough for a few wallets, not a whole side? I welcome any advice whatsoever.

... Tim

I would call Springfield leather and order a 4/5 oz. half shoulder. the thickness will be quite even all over and there will be plenty to do a wallet with enough left over for another project. relatively no wasted lethe on a shoulder.

pete

Tim I agree with Pete about Springfield. Tell them what you want to do and they'll see to it you have exactly what you need. Good luck with your project. Cheryl