So, I've just finished my first holster. I haven't really done any other pieces, just practice pieces from scraps and coasters and that's really about it. This holster was from the Will Ghormley Hand of God rig pattern pack, and sized for my 1858 Remington. I left out the hammer thong (when did we start using those, anyway?) and the toe plug, since I didn't want to ruin what I'd made trying to sew it in (I completely ruined another holster I had tooled/colored when I tried stitching it before practicing stitching at all). I still need to do the belt and what-have-you, but I think the holster looks pretty nice.

It isn't slam-bang creative or anything, nothing out of the ordinary, but I feel pretty good about it.

post-46358-0-36559800-1394666458_thumb.j

That looks great! I really like it.

Thanks Robert and Rohn! I plan on making another, though I may go with heavier leather. Or I may line it, I'm not sure.

Looks, pretty good. The hammer thong, leg tie downs and Buscadero rigs primarily came about in early 1900's Hollywood.

No way that is your first holster! Great job. Looks very clean with crisp lines. Very impressive.

Nice.. for sure line the next one.. My wife looks at my unlined holsters and goes WHY?

Looks, pretty good. The hammer thong, leg tie downs and Buscadero rigs primarily came about in early 1900's Hollywood.

Ah, I see. I've read that many of the actors hired for the roles in the early days of film were actual cowboys, and that that's how they wore theirs?

Beautiful!

Thanks!

No way that is your first holster! Great job. Looks very clean with crisp lines. Very impressive.

Technically it's my first complete holster, but it sure is. And thank you!

Nice.. for sure line the next one.. My wife looks at my unlined holsters and goes WHY?

I definitely should have lined it. I got all sorts of very fine bits of leather on my gun and it needed cleaned. I made another, for a .38 spl, and I lined that one and I think it looks pretty good.

Excellent job. Just starting my 1st holster this week, I hope its half as nice as yours.

Thank you, that really ups my confidence in making these!

~Wade

very nice work and beautiful tooling !

As everyone else has mentioned fantastic job - it certainly belies being a first.

I'm just getting ready to do my first holster this style - I'm experimenting using Photoshop to design the pattern.

My first pattern was right on as far as fitting - I did however revise it to have a skinnier back. I like how you abbreviated yours quite a bit - I might have to steal that idea. ;)

Question - is your loop cut from the back or riveted on separate? I'm thinking I will rivet or sew mine on instead of cutting it.

Tooling looks great. It is a very fine first holster. Keep up the good work.

That's fine work. Amazing for your first on out the gate!

As everyone else has mentioned fantastic job - it certainly belies being a first.

I'm just getting ready to do my first holster this style - I'm experimenting using Photoshop to design the pattern.

My first pattern was right on as far as fitting - I did however revise it to have a skinnier back. I like how you abbreviated yours quite a bit - I might have to steal that idea. ;)

Question - is your loop cut from the back or riveted on separate? I'm thinking I will rivet or sew mine on instead of cutting it.

Indeed, it's the first complete holster - I chucked its predecessor in the bin because I messed up the stitching (started going at it without having practice on any scrap whatsoever). I'd like to see what patterns you come up with on photoshop. I usually get mine from whatever pattern I'm working with. I can imitate what's there somewhat fair, but I can't come up with any on my own, really. The abbreviated backflap was on the design - I was thinking if/when I do the next, I'd make the the length of the holster.

In answer to your question, the loop was riveted on separate. Looking at the loops cut from the same back, it seems as though the flaps tend to roll around and hug the holster a bit, a look that I'm not sure I like..

Tooling looks great. It is a very fine first holster. Keep up the good work.

Thank you, and I'm trying!

That's fine work. Amazing for your first on out the gate!

Thanks!!