RoosterShooter

Tippmann Boss Stitch Adjustment Issues. Please Help!

I've searched this forum, and all over the net for a solution to my problem. I have tried everything mentioned, but nothing seems to fix my issue.

I have adjusted the sewing thread tension and the bobbin tension both up and down, but I cannot find a happy medium. As you see in the picture ... the pressure foot tension is either applying pressure erratically or my stitches come out looking like a 'Feed Bag' stitch on the bottom.

I am pulling my hair out trying to get this machine to sew an acceptable stitch, but nothing is working.

Any suggestions before I send it back to Tippmann? This is a New machine by the way.

post-35312-0-80697600-1368079954_thumb.j

Edited by RoosterShooter

Call Tipmann, they can give you basic starting settings for both thread and bobbin tension. I had the same problem when I got mine new. Had to learn by doing. Once you get the knack it easy to adjust for various leather types and thicknesses. Occasionally I get mine so screwed up that I have to take it back to factory spec and start again. Dont give up, its a great machine. Quick question, in your picture which picture is the top and which is the bottom. Can't quite tell. Let me know and I may be able to offer a suggestion.

The picture is of the bottom.

Also, it's on 7 oz. horse hide. Does the material density affect the stitch?

Edited by RoosterShooter

Hi.

I've spent quite a while fiddling with the Boss when I got it 6 months ago. Haven't been using it much as had to put leatherwork on hold for quite a few months but I had a similar problem and what helped me was calling Ben at Tippman who suggested adjusting the thread intake (?) arm's position on the shaft that it's attached to. It's supposed to be a certain distance from the side of the Boss (7/8" or 5/8" - Ben will sort you out ;)) and mine was not set correctly before the boss was shipped to me. Even a 1mm difference seems to result in screwed up tensions.

The Boss seems to be a decent machine, however, the look of the stitches is nowhere near the perfection of a hand-stitched item, so I've been sticking to the old awl and needles until I get higher volumes of goods to stitch.

Well, from reading through hours of internet topics, both on the forum and others, I have come to one conclusion.

I think I'm going to send my BOSS back and use their '30 Day Money Back Guarantee'. For the money I paid for this machine it should be ready to go with minimal adjustment on my end. For the cost of what I paid for the Boss new I could have had a Techsew 3650HD which is an automatic machine.

I think that until Tippmann starts paying more attention to what they send out the door they will have more and more complaints adding up.

I'm going to call them this afternoon, and give them a chance to make it right with me. Mine seems to be poorly built, and I do not believe that for the money I paid I should have to worry with the things that I am. For example ... the paint is already chipping off of my machine in certain areas. Last night I rubbed against the frame while rethreading the machine, and my hand was covered in black paint. I looked where my hand rubbed and all I saw was bare aluminum.

The paint should not be peeling off, as you indicated. Your stitches indicate not enough tension on the needle (top) thread.

Leave the bobbin tension where it is, and then wrap the needle thread TWICE around the Primary and Secondary tension plates. If the loop starts appearing on the top of the stitch instead of the bottom, begin to loosen the Primary tension adjustment some.

Properly adjusting the tension on a Boss can "drive a sane man nuts" - but once you get past being really mad, and do it a few times, it gets easier.

Still, I would definitely call Tippmann and ask to speak to Ben. Tell him Sam said to call him. He will talk you through most any problem you are having, and if there is a quality issue with your unit, he will make it right too.

Thanks Treckster .....

I tend to get a little worked up when I am working with tools, machinery, and parts. I always have to take a step back when I get to the point that I want to cuss and throw tools. :spoton:

Ben wasn't in this afternoon, but I spoke to another gentleman who walked me through an entirely different setup process that isn't listed in the manual. It was fairly close to what you mentioned.

Another problem that I was having was that I was using horse butt to sew my test strips. You know as well as I do that horse butt is some of the most dense 'leather' on the planet, and it wasn't a good test subject.

I switched to 8 oz. cowhide, adjusted my machine similar to what you mentioned, and all is well. I had perfect stitches in less than 15 minutes!

As a side note ...

If anyone chooses to sew horse butt with the standard 200 needle and 277 thread .... you need to either 'Up' the needle size to 250, or lower the thread size to 207. Furthermore, I had the BEST results with using a 200 Needle .... 277 thread on the needle thread .... and finally .... 207 on the bobbin thread! This gave a nice uniform appearance on the front side of the leather, and a more subtle appearance on the back.

That darn horse butt is just some really hard stuff to sew !!!

As for the paint coming off of the machine .... after talking with the gentleman at Tippmann I think it's probably best to just keep the machine I have at this time. Their 'coating' process isn't the area where they focus their attention, and I have access to powder coating materials, so I will break the machine down in my down time, and powder coat it to my liking.

Edited by RoosterShooter

I sewed a lot of hard rolled horse butts with a Boss using 346 and found that the stuff is easier to sew wet to get the thread to embed into the horsehide. Pressor foot marks can be burnished out while it's still wet.

Edited by PappyUSA

Thanks PappyUSA.

Were you using a 250 needle?

Thanks PappyUSA.

Were you using a 250 needle?

Sorry I can't remember, I gave the machine to my son so it's not here for me to look at. The way I picked the size was by whatching the needle slide down a 346 thread at about 45 degrees. 346 is all I used to work with. That Boss is an excelent maching for sewing horsehide holsters. Jumping off point for bobbin tension is about 16 .oz of pull and then fine tune from there. Trigger pull scale is what I used to use to measure it.

After you get used to it you'll find the Boss to be a perfect holster machine.

Thanks PappyUSA. I never thought to use my trigger pull scale! That's a good tip.

Chavez ....

Follow the instructions of the manual plus a few steps.

1) Loop the thread around the Secondary Tensioner as you do on the Primary Tensioner.

2) Start turning BOTH of the tensioner wheels down 1/2 turn and the bobbin tension 1 full turn each test.

3) After you get a perfect stitch line using your settings ..... do one more 1/4 turn on both Tensioner Wheels & 1/2 turn on the bobbin, for good measure, and lock it down. .

Edited by RoosterShooter