Sign in to follow this  
Shorts

Weldwood - How do you keep it?

I bought a 32oz can of Weldwood from Home Depot yesterday. Obviously an applicator is needed to apply it to the leather for use.

What do you use to apply it and how do you keep the container in general? Any special purpose container or glue thingy? Straight from the can with a brush? How?

I don't want it going gooey or dry or getting real messy over time.

Monica I buy a bag of those cheap metal handled brushes from Harbor Freight like 99c for 25 or something.I pitch em after use and wipe the threads on the bottle b4 closing.Its a lot easier than trying to clean that spout eash time!

I use a pint glue bottle from tandy with a brush in the lid. Never had any problems with the brush gumming up, or the lid getting stuck. I would imagine a normal glue pot would work too.

dawn dishwashing detergent bottle (empty of course). Flip top easy open close (w/one hand) and application to leather is much easier to control. Use disposable brushes or wooden coffee stir sticks for spreading. Flip top can lets less air into the container (almost none) and glue won't dry so fast (no need for thinners) and the lid doesn't get messy with the never ending "string" of glue from the brush to the project.

The last time I put contact cement -- it may have been rubber cement -- in an opaque plastic bottle, the cement seemed to turn dark brown and thick prematurely. I did not make a special effort to store the bottle out of the light. This time I will have some thinner on hand, but I wonder if storing in a clear, translucent, or opaque bottle has an adverse effect on the integrity of the glue causing a shorter storage life.

I'm getting in gallon containers of the new Barge and would like to give the soap bottle idea a try.

Ed

dawn dishwashing detergent bottle (empty of course). Flip top easy open close (w/one hand) and application to leather is much easier to control. Use disposable brushes or wooden coffee stir sticks for spreading. Flip top can lets less air into the container (almost none) and glue won't dry so fast (no need for thinners) and the lid doesn't get messy with the never ending "string" of glue from the brush to the project.

Ahh, that's a good idea.

And that just made my brain leap to 'why not a regular old school glue bottle?'