Sign in to follow this  
LINDSAY

How to make these lines?

Ok so I am "VERY' new to leatherworking. And I have this purse pattern and I would like to try it. I know it is probally something extremely simple, but I just can't get it to work. Does anyone have my answer???

Thanks

Lindsay

purse.jpg

post-9990-1239858530_thumb.jpg

Well this is called quilting or crosshatch. How I do it is usually on a 45 degree angle and with a 1 inch straight edge, I find my angle and cut with a swivel knife along the straight edge. then line it up again and cut. and so on and son on. Then find the opositte angle and repeat. I have found that for me it is easier to start in the center and find the center of the project and work "backwards" in both directions.

I am not real good at 'splainin things so I hop this helps at least a little bit.

Well this is called quilting or crosshatch. How I do it is usually on a 45 degree angle and with a 1 inch straight edge, I find my angle and cut with a swivel knife along the straight edge. then line it up again and cut. and so on and son on. Then find the opositte angle and repeat. I have found that for me it is easier to start in the center and find the center of the project and work "backwards" in both directions.

I am not real good at 'splainin things so I hop this helps at least a little bit.

OKAY SO IT IS JUST A CUT? SO ONCE IT IS CUT DO I DO ANYTHING ELSE TO IT?

OKAY SO IT IS JUST A CUT? SO ONCE IT IS CUT DO I DO ANYTHING ELSE TO IT?

Then where the lines intersect you stamp it with a seeder if you want. The picture is kind of small so I can't make out for sure what they're using but using a seeder is common.

A straightedge, a swivel knife, a seeder and a ballend stylus is what I used.

Ck6.jpg

post-4868-1239866802_thumb.jpg

Perfect!!! I got it:) Thank you ...... And by the way that wallet is very nice

those are all great ideas, I never use a stylus on mine I just leave the cuts alone, but I so use a seeder or a small flower center where they intersect sometimes. Another friend of mine used to use a star stamp alot on some rodeo awards he built (rope cans and bronc halters) and that looked pretty cool too. Just use your imagination and it will all come together.

I am curious if you all use the swivel knife in sections or the whole line and then the seeder

splain like this.....do you use a staright edge- then do a small knife cut then stamp seeder- then cut again then use seeder stamp...etc etc

or do you cut your full line then stamp on the line

or do you use straight line and stamp all the seeders then cut in between every stamp?

I am curious if you all use the swivel knife in sections or the whole line and then the seeder

splain like this.....do you use a staright edge- then do a small knife cut then stamp seeder- then cut again then use seeder stamp...etc etc

or do you cut your full line then stamp on the line

or do you use straight line and stamp all the seeders then cut in between every stamp?

Your making it too complicated. Just cut the line from border to border then use the stamp of choice at the intersections.

Hope this helps.

I trace the lines lightly on cased leather, then seed the intersections then swivel the lines to the seed or whatever stamps design etc. then ballend stylus to open the lines up. At least I am pretty sure thats what I did, but whatever way works for you is the way to do it :thumbsup: Oh yea I used a 6" machinists rule to mark the lines.

Edited by Jordan

Your making it too complicated. Just cut the line from border to border then use the stamp of choice at the intersections.

Hope this helps.

That is how I do it. I use a 3/8 hollow ground blade so I dont see the need to open the lines up any more than that.

Edited by Tkleather1

It's really not that hard Lidsay just get it all straight and spaced right the rest is straight forward

Josh

One of the first projects I ever did was a magnetic money clip with this pattern. I measured down both edges and marked every half inch ( I think ) and just connected the lines ( at an angle, of course. ) Hit it with a seeder at the intersections and used a border tool on it.