dbusarow

What are the most popular punch sizes

I'm going to order some bag and drive punches for holster and belt making and was hoping to get recommendations on the best sizes to order.

If I had more money I'd just get one of each but with a limited budget what sizes would you guys recommend? The punches I'm thinking of are bag punches for holster belt slots (just 1 1/2" belt for now) and a 1 1/2" belt buckle tongue slot. Drive punches for Chicago screws and snaps for the belt.

And throw in bag and drive punches for the same holes on horse tack just for fun!

Thanks for your help.

Dan

I'm going to order some bag and drive punches for holster and belt making and was hoping to get recommendations on the best sizes to order.

If I had more money I'd just get one of each but with a limited budget what sizes would you guys recommend? The punches I'm thinking of are bag punches for holster belt slots (just 1 1/2" belt for now) and a 1 1/2" belt buckle tongue slot. Drive punches for Chicago screws and snaps for the belt.

And throw in bag and drive punches for the same holes on horse tack just for fun!

Thanks for your help.

Dan

i like a #5 drive punch for chicago screws.

Thank you sir. What do you use for the buckle slots on your straps? Is there a "standard" that says e.g. for a 1/2" buckle use a X" slot?

Dan

Thanks for your help.

Dan

Dan:

For the round hole punches, Tandy sells two punch sets with interchangeable sets of various size tubes (the mini set & the maxi set). So you get a full set of punch sizes, from size 0 up to size 12 (I believe) with 2 handles. Probably a lot more inexpensive than buying a single regular punch. If you subscribe to the AC Moore website ( http://acmoore.com ), they very often have 50% off coupons which you can use on a punch set (yes, they have a small display of Tandy stuff, usually including the punch sets- Michaels also has sunday supplements offering 40% or 50% coupons, too- they carry a small tandy selection, too). Either way, a very inexpensive way of acquiring a full set of decent starter punches! :thumbsup:

russ

Dan: The ones I seem to use the most are #5,6,7 and 8 belt punches and 3/4, 1 1/8, 1 1/2, 1 3/4 and 2 inch oblong punches. I like single tube better than drive punches as they are not as thick as drive punches and cut a smaller hole. one of the few times I use a drive punch is to punch holes for blevins buckles then I use #8 for rivets I use a drill and bit

Dan:

For the round hole punches, Tandy sells two punch sets with interchangeable sets of various size tubes (the mini set & the maxi set). So you get a full set of punch sizes, from size 0 up to size 12 (I believe) with 2 handles. Probably a lot more inexpensive than buying a single regular punch. If you subscribe to the AC Moore website ( http://acmoore.com ), they very often have 50% off coupons which you can use on a punch set (yes, they have a small display of Tandy stuff, usually including the punch sets- Michaels also has sunday supplements offering 40% or 50% coupons, too- they carry a small tandy selection, too). Either way, a very inexpensive way of acquiring a full set of decent starter punches! :thumbsup:

russ

Russ,

I've got the large set in that style. It, and the rotary punch I'm using for smaller holes are what I'd like to replace. The handle on mine is already mushroomong and I really haven't punched that many holes with it.

Thanks for the suggestion though.

Dan

Dan: The ones I seem to use the most are #5,6,7 and 8 belt punches and 3/4, 1 1/8, 1 1/2, 1 3/4 and 2 inch oblong punches. I like single tube better than drive punches as they are not as thick as drive punches and cut a smaller hole. one of the few times I use a drive punch is to punch holes for blevins buckles then I use #8 for rivets I use a drill and bit

I think the single tube punch is what I really meant. Just a simple one size hole punch. So the 5, 6, 7 and 8 go on my order.

For the bag punches, where I really want to only get the ones I'll use :), is the 3/4 what you would use for something like a bridle buckle? I'm not planning on building any saddles so I don't think I'll need the 1 1/8 or 2".

Thanks!

Dan

I think the single tube punch is what I really meant. Just a simple one size hole punch. So the 5, 6, 7 and 8 go on my order.

For the bag punches, where I really want to only get the ones I'll use :), is the 3/4 what you would use for something like a bridle buckle? I'm not planning on building any saddles so I don't think I'll need the 1 1/8 or 2".

Thanks!

Dan

Five minutes ago I had to punch through 9mm of leather to set a hole for a chicago screw, which has a post girth of 4.5 to 5mm. When I have to punch through such thick leather, i usually go down one size in drive punch. I used a #4, which gave a very snug fit for the chicago screw post.

By the way, I have learned that the 1/2" Chicago screws from Weaver come with a 3/8" screw. The 1/4" and 3/8" posts come with 1/4" screws. I was expecting 1/4" screws as standard with all posts.

ed

I like the real old Dixon punches as they have a nice long taper. The newer ones swell out too much just past the actual hole. I've always used a leather maul and have never had any mushrooming in 40 years. These old oval, round and crew punches were real old when I got them and they are still going well. I don't know why they can't produce punches as good today as they did 75 years ago as technology has improved!

Tony.

The handle on mine is already mushroomong and I really haven't punched that many holes with it.

Dan

Dan:

never, ever use a metal hammer on stamps or punches. This is most likely why your handle is mushrooming, if you've only punched a few holes. Use a weighted mallet or a heavier maul ONLY.

Dan:

never, ever use a metal hammer on stamps or punches. This is most likely why your handle is mushrooming, if you've only punched a few holes. Use a weighted mallet or a heavier maul ONLY.

Guilty as charged :) I'll start using the maul.

Dan

For the bag punches, where I really want to only get the ones I'll use :) , is the 3/4 what you would use for something like a bridle buckle? I'm not planning on building any saddles so I don't think I'll need the 1 1/8 or 2".

Thanks!

Dan

Dan:It depends on the type of buckle, but a 3/4 for 3/4 or 1" leather is usually fine. for 1/2" straps 1/2"punch is better because it dosn't cut as wide of a slot as a 3/4" will