Tempestshade

A Few Questions

Good day to all,

I have been watching leather working videos quite intensely for the past few weeks and have decided that I might want to give it a go. I primarily want to make knife sheath's, however, I realize that this may be a bit advanced to start off with. Instead I will try and to start off with an Ipod/ipad cover, a book cover, and a few other small items.

I have searched the forums for several needed tools videos and have noticed that tools can be very project specific and that I couldn't really base my needs off of theirs. Thus, I apologize as I realize that there are already several 'Beginner tools' posts out there.

I have tried looking for forum rules about link posting but couldn't really find any - and I have seen several people mentioning/linking to other sites. If I am breaking the rules please let me know and I will adapt my posts in the future.

For the projects listed above, from what I have gathered, will require the following items (excluding the leather and dye):

Awl, overstitch wheel (optional but comes in kit), groover, needles, and thread - http://springfieldleather.com/29838/Kit%2CHandsewing/

Beveler - http://springfieldleather.com/24773/Beveler%2CSafety/

Edge Beveler - http://springfieldleather.com/29838/Kit%2CHandsewing/

Also - when looking for leather I should be looking at Tooling leather, right? - http://springfieldleather.com/235/Tooling-Leathers/

Does anyone think I will need anything else besides the above listed items to make small ipod/book covers, wallets, etc?

Thanks,

David

Edited by Tempestshade

A small pair of needle nosed pliers with large rubber shock handles, . . . makes short work of a needle that wants to be difficult going through the hole. Also useful for many other things too.

You may also want to pick up a snap setter, . . . I believe this is the one I use, . . . http://shop.hobbylobby.com/products/5/8-heavy-duty-fastener-plier-kit-733006/, . . . on sale, half price until the 19th. I have never seen a tool that does a better job of setting snaps than this one.

I did hear one guy complain about it, . . . he bent the handles, . . . it is not made for a ham-handed knuckle head.

May God bless,

Dwight

Edited by Dwight

Thank you very much for the input Dwight!

I do have an extensive toolkit available which already involves rubber mallet, clamps, pliers, and a other woodworking/general tools. Thanks for the link! Will add it to my basket. Not too worried about getting it on sale - I want to make sure leatherworking is something I will get in to before I start investing more money in it. From that point I will have no issues spending the required cash. Although I will probably want to set snaps once I start getting going on projects, I must refrain for now!

Best regards,

David

David you don't need to use tooling leather unless you're going to tool something on it. And then you need the basic 6 and a swivel knife. Until you see if you like it, for your ipod covers and such you can use their embossed leathers if you see some you like. But veg tanned will certainly work. You will need dyes or if you leave them natural a finish. I use resolene that's 50/50 with water. Always had good results with it. Also you can buy mop and glo and cut it 50/50 and get almost the same results. If you're going to use veg tanned leather you'll want to burnish the edges but for now that can be accomplished with water and canvas or denim. I use saddle soap and denim, it's the heat that makes the liquid slick the edges. If I think of anything else I'll repost. Good luck. Cheryl

DoubleC - thank you very much for your input!

I will definitely not be tooling anything at this stage - and I quite like the look of un-tooled leather. Now you have me questioning which leather I need to buy haha! Can anyone post me to a link of leather that would be appropriate to make sheaths/ipod cases, etc? I really don't want to order leather only to find out it won't suit my needs. I have an idea of the dye I will be buying so that shouldn't be a problem.

Thanks a ton,

David

well if you will be dyeing the project then you do want veg tanned. Embossed is already dyed, I just thought you might like the look of some of it. I think people make knife sheaths out of 8-9 oz and an ipod cover or book cover I would use 5oz. because that's going to be doubled. And Springfield Leather Co. will cut the leather for you so you could get 4 sq. feet of 5oz for your first projects and 1 sq. foot of the 8-9 oz to practice a sheath on. or anyway you want to mix it up. Knife sheaths I think are usually molded around the knife then allowed to dry, and the weld and back sewn to the molded front. I haven't made one yet but have a man who wants one so that's how I was planning on doing it. And also asking on here first. For the small projects you could buy a belly at SLC. and for the practice sheaths also a heavier belly because it's not going to stretch since it will have a weld and back. That would give you lots of extra leather to play with. http://springfieldleather.com/25850/Belly%2CHermannOak%2C9-10oz%2CEach/ Cheryl

Thank you yet again, Cheryl!

Thanks for the tip on leather thickness, that was my next area of research but you have answered it already. I imagine as time progresses I will be accustomed to know what kind of leather I require for certain tasks. I am going to start ordering my tools slowly but should be up and ready to start within a month or two. Will let you all know how it turns out!

Any additional tips would also be greatly appreciated.

Thanks yet again,

David