Sign in to follow this  
Wogdog

Leather Lead For Horses

Hello, this is my first post so be nice please.

i am wanting to make a tooled leather lead for my daughter to use while showing her horse at fair.

i have two questions 1 how do i get a piece of veg tan over 72 inches long, most hides i see are smaller than this. i know some one provides it because i have found latigo leather in 84 inch lengths.

in the far distant past i used to cut belt blanks for tooling but all the hides we used were much shorter than i need.

Question 2 what weight should i use , i was thinking 4/5 oz.

Question what would be the best finish Dye then oil / oil then dye

Help

thank you

To get the length you have to cut it off of a side. I wouldn't use anything less than 10 / 12 ounce

4 / 5 ounce is way to light.

Hello, this is my first post so be nice please.

i am wanting to make a tooled leather lead for my daughter to use while showing her horse at fair.

i have two questions 1 how do i get a piece of veg tan over 72 inches long, most hides i see are smaller than this. i know some one provides it because i have found latigo leather in 84 inch lengths.

in the far distant past i used to cut belt blanks for tooling but all the hides we used were much shorter than i need.

Question 2 what weight should i use , i was thinking 4/5 oz.

Question what would be the best finish Dye then oil / oil then dye

Help

thank you

To get the length you have to cut it off of a side. I wouldn't use anything less than 10 / 12 ounce

4 / 5 ounce is way to light.

Thank you

Edited by Wogdog

I agree with John having a brat horse myself. I would never put her on 5 oz leather. With the most well trained and mannered horse something can always go wrong. A heavy lead won't always help but a light one never would. Good luck, and please show us a pic when it's finished. Cheryl